Chapter 10: That kid Bow

Erin

While I was agonizing over my defective brain, I started hearing Magnus' breathing becoming a little bit too even. Lifting his head, I then realized that he is now past asleep.

Badump badump. Wha, what is this... My heart beat picked up as I peered unto his face that's lying on my chest. Just like this he looks like a kitten. Instinctively, I held his head and my fingers interlaced and played with his crimson red treases. He looks so much at peace here―his well-sculpted handsome face, his long eyelashes fanning his porcelain white skin.. Who would've thought that this future villain can have this much angelic aura in him?

If anyone told me he was a protagonist of some cheesy romantic movie, I would've believed it in a heartbeat.. That is, if I didn't know any better.

But I do know.

I sighed sadly as I continued to look at this beautiful creature. Come to think of it, he's done nothing appalling up to date. Sure, he's cold due to his dark past but now.. I think I closed that gap? Aside from that, he's far from the tragic paragon villain that I so badly wanted to save.

Well, he does help out convicts though. But in his defense, those people help out the poorest of the poor.. The minorities who can't defend themselves against nobles who's best interest lies in fattening their own pockets. Like Robin Hood, they incessantly try to flip the tables in their own illegal and dangerous way.

I wonder why the author didn't mention this in the novel. He or she did add that Magnus rounded up all the outlaws and joined forces with them since he was young but I think it's unfair for him to not include this bit of information. It will create a huge misunderstanding of Magnus intention t―

Something dawned to me just now..

How can I be so stupid?

All those people in Astrea are his future military forces! It might be just a hypothesis at the moment but my intuition tells me that this is indeed the case. Looking at him now, I suddenly felt the urge to cry again. There was a third person perspective in the novel talking about a crown prince who went undercover to help the poor in the outskirts of the capital. I always thought that since Bryce was raised as a commoner, he was the one who did that. Who would've known that the unnamed prince in that chapter of the novel was none other than the future demonized villain. How can I not pity such a kind handsome creature despite his circumstances?

The unnamed prince who sneaks out the palace to aid his people was none other than Magnus Baudin "Bow" Veritas Courtenay. What a grand revelation.

I never would've thought that his descent to madness can even get more tragic than how I originally thought it already was.

With a faint smile and tear-stained cheeks, I held him closer to my chest as I let the drowsy feeling take me to a peaceful slumber.

**

Someone's POV

Nine years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday. We were a group of brats who grew up in the streets. Our tattered clothes and muddied faces were enough for others to not even give us a sideway glance. It's as if we didn't exist..

Not existing as the bottom of the barrel scraps of this feudal world would've been great but unfortunately, reality is cruel. We got no education, aint no parents, no home.. The streets teach you that it's a dog eats dog world and if you won't fight for it, you'll be buried in unmarked graves together with your values or your softness. What compassion? What love? It's a luxury we street rats can't even dream of. We can't afford it.