Chapter 3: Preparations

Erin

"Young miss, is this enough?" Asked the servant maid who held a bouqet of peonies among some angel's breath. I smiled at her and motioned my hand for her to put it in the vase by my bedside table.

"Thank you Debbie." I responded "You're dismissed for today."

"Young miss, just ring the bell if you ever need anything. Marquess Farron wanted you to feel more at home." Said Debbie who's now my personal maid. She left my room as soon as she was finished talking.

You might be wondering what happened. Well, now I belong to Marquess Farron's estate as their one and only young miss. Apparently, they had a daughter whom is supposed to be wed to a Duke Courtenay's son but was unfortunately ridden with an incurable disease that caused her to die at the young age of fourteen. Seeing that I am at the same age as hers, the Marquess adopted me in her stead. Of course her death wasn't announced.

Weeks passed and I acted the way abused fourteen year olds did. I acted timid and dependent so that I won't rise unnecessary suspicions against myself. It seems that my acting is working because nobody noticed how excited I am deep down.

Now I'm completely well-versed in the etiquette and history of this world. We live in a kingdom called Windsor. It's exactly the same kingdom as my recent read "Risen Emperor: The Dragon and Phoenix's rise to power" where Bryce, Ava and (most specially) Magnus exists!

As if this exciting news isn't enough, I also found out that I look like an adorable blonde doll now with sakura pink eyes and platinum blonde hair.

My skin's so white, delicate and soft now that if my parents in my past life saw me, they'd think I'm one of those young models in hollywood.

My parents, huh.. I smiled bitterly at myself. In my past life as Irene Kim, I made sure they had enough money to last them in four lifetimes. I'm glad I had that foresight.. But as a middle-aged woman at that life, I wasn't able to fulfill my mother's request for me to have a family.. Heck I didn't even have potential boyfriend at that time, what the hell was I expecting?

Brushing off the sudden feeling of homesickness and loneliness, I tried to ignite my spirit by once again thinking of the general plot line of this world's story. Right now I'm sitting on my reading sofa chair facing a beautiful garden, holding a quill and paper while writing down in hanyul the major plot progressions I can recall from reading the novel once. (Why hanyul? So that nobody will understand it in this world, of course! It took a lot in me to act dainty so that nobody will suspect me as another soul from a different world. I heard they burn suspicious people here as witches. My god I just came here, I don't have a death wish.)

At this time, Magnus is being constantly tortured by his father, Duke Everett, in a dungeon secretly built underground. Magnus is 17 years old going through hell in Mondays and Saturdays while on the other days he's supposed to live like a normal noble, attending academy. The reason for his double life is simple, his dad is trying ignite his special power by inflicting unspeakable pain unto him so that his power will strengthen and he can usurp the throne from the crown prince, Bryce. Having red hair in this society means having diety's blood flowing in this type of person's veins. The more they are exposed in deep fiery emotion (not necessarily pain inducing hate, could also be deep respect/love cultivated since young that obviously doesn't exist in the Courtenay dukdom), the more magic and power can they harness. It's supposed to be to the point that this emotion is etched in the person for life (which in Magnus' case, scarred him)... At least that's what I learned from my tutors these past few months.