Chapter 8: Night stroll, trolled

Erin

"Keep it down, will you?" I reprimanded in a hushing tone.

"Okay, miss. But if you may, can I have more of your bread? My mother is sick and my brother and sister haven't been eating a lot. It would mean the world to me if--"

"Have all of it." I gave him the entirety of the bag I had with me.

The young boy looked at me with eyes sparkling in wonder as he obediently covered his mouth with both of his small thin hands. I smiled and turned to the side, watching my pursuers as this kid and I stood in a hidden alley.

Turns out, this world is much more corrupted than the world I was in in my past life. The disparity between the nobles and the commoners is far too wide. Right now I'm at the outer circle where the commoners are and the economy outside the fiefdom of the nobles are suffering a great deal just basing on what I witnessed in my first stroll.

You might be wondering how I got here and what happened... Well, a lot transpired. Even now I still refuse to face those truths at the moment.

My wedding will be held tomorrow. My amazing fiancé is arranging the whole event which is surprisingly a good excuse to leave me by myself as I ponder on what I have possibly done to lead me in such a rush to my very own death. As for his reasons, I still don't know why he did the things he's done. No explanations for this confused unrelated person (AM I RIGHT? CAN YOU SEE THE SARCASM OVERFLOWING? YEAH THAT'S INTENTIONAL.)

Also, my so-called "father" refused to speak to me for a whole four days now. The whole Farron estate was in mourning, for whatever reason. Impeccable acting, as expected of this con-man and his lackeys.

Since nobody's filling in the multiple blanks of questions in my mind, I will have to fill it in myself. And don't worry.. I'm no fool. I learned more about this world before I ventured out to see it. This world has four mainstream magical elements: Wind, Earth, Fire, and Water. Wind mostly for healing, Earth for construction, Fire for offensive battles, and Water for transportation. Well, that's the basics. Of course there's a lot of gray areas. Some have unique attributes that mend with their affinity. Some have multiple affinities (most talented have 2 or 3). Outside this realm are rare elemental magic of Darkness and Light. Only ultimate people with the noblest lineage and a destiny to fulfill have this. If the mainstream magical elements are mostly only covered the scope of nobility (such an elitist move), the rare ones only covered royalty or special cases which are comprised of people who're meant to fulfill a vital role in something beyond their lives (like sacrificing one's own life for the salvation of humanity etc.). Both are once in a lifetime affinities, light and darkness.

As a color, light is the presence of them all while darkness is the absence of it entirely. In adverse, Light magic weilders possesses the great prophetic eye and a large amount of mana that is transferable but unusable for the wielder. Darkness has the affinities with all the mainstream elemental magic while having inexhaustible amount of mana in exchange for their soul being etched (like a tattoo) with extreme human emotion. From birth, both light and dark magic users are already chosen by the gods. Usually, dark magic weilders have red hair while light magic weilders have pink eyes. Now, does that sound familiar?

Who would've thought, right? The alienated Lisbeth (Erin, moi) and the tortured Magnus are actually chosen by the gods and are supposed to have a destiny to fulfill. (I'm a Light magic user while Magnus' a Dark magic user. Now I get it why people were so nice to me in the ball... These eyes are all the introduction they needed, huh? There I was thinking I did something spectacular. What a shame.) Most people will be thrilled if they were in our position.. Thinking this "specialness" indicate a life full of sunshines and rainbows. Well, count us out! I just happen to know EXACTLY what that f*ckin' destiny is and I vowed to myself that I'll change that. I bet these "gods" saw our lives as a joke.. I mean, just look at how tragic both his and mine are going (and will go). Take a good look at what these vicious gods have orchestrated. I have inexhaustible amount of mana I can't use while he has to have a human emotion etched on his soul (which was his trauma, madness and distrust in the novel). What chosen? What specialness? T-these curses!