Chapter 12: Did the Sun just rise from the west?

Tristan Winchester

"Guard her again today."

"But, my Lord I--" I protested without much thought

"It's an order." My lord, Magnus said most resolutely that I just have to obey.

Despite my better judgement, I let my emotions overtake my actions. How impudent of me. I knelt to show reverence and subordinance. "I understand. I will be on my way, my Lord."

I stood up and turned to my heel. I'll have to rescind my post once more to guard that peculiar lady.

Using my Qi, I most swiftly made my way to the Farron Estate.
Just a few minutes later, I used my mana-detector to determine where lady Lisbeth was.

I found her on the second floor, by the study of her room enjoined with the Marquess. Whatever they conversed on, I have no clue as my sole mission remains to be to protect her.

Her. I can't help but worry about my Lord.

Ever since my Lord met her, he has been acting differently--and I am still in the midst of figuring out if it's for the better.

I can just sense it. There's something beyond my understanding that's transpiring right before my eyes and I can't even tell which myself. If it's magic, black sorcery, or anything else.. As of now I have no clue.

After a few more moments, the lady left her room. Her hair was in a ceremonial arrangement worn by brides, adorned by opal gemstones whose fractals gleamed alternately in pastel blue and pink. A few treases of her hair fell strategically to the sides of her face, complementing her angelic features. Her countenance was accentuated by a warm color palette that made her look even more pristine.

H-how is this the same diminutive girl I caught grinning out of nowhere that one time? She--

Bllllaaaggg! Momentarily awestruck, I was unable to regulate my Qi and fell flat on the hard, cold ground.

"Oh good heavens, h-how?"

I smiled curtly to one of the close maids of the lady, Deborah. "I apologize for the abrupt intrusion," I started as I stood up, dusting off dirt on my pants as I fell on my back. "I was under the order of--"

"Your master. We understand." Lady Lisbeth turned to the two of us with a knowing glance. Somehow, her gaze carried a heavier weight, akin to a vigilant nocturnal creature. This heavily contrasted to her soft facial features.

Perhaps, I'm thinking too much. I promptly nodded in agreement to the young miss. "You look lovely, princess." I complimented genuinely that was met by an intelligent-looking smile.

I watched as the young miss turned to the carriage, her movement's as graceful as the withered autumn leaves somewhat sashaying in its inevitable decline.

I sighed as I followed the moving carriage, matching the speed of the galloping horses pulling it behind. As the sunlight bathed the scenery with rays of effervescent incandescence.

The light, matching the lifted heaviness from my chest. That lady, miss Lisbeth Erin Capell Farron, may just be his saving grace.

**

Erin

After what feels like a lifetime, the sound of galloping horses halted, putting an end to our journey to the Borgund Straeces. The structure was similar to churches from my past world, only way grander and more intricate. At least, from what I can gather from my memories.

Debbie looked at me with tear-stained cheeks as her strong facade finally came crashing down. her strong facade finally came to an end. She hesitantly tried to touch my arm, but was too timid to do so. Ah, how could I forget!

I let out a consoling smile as I put my hand on her shoulder. "I'm grateful for your dedicated service. I will take it upon your kindness and put my head on your shoulder for the years to come. I will be under your care, Debbie." In short, I'll be a burden to you, sorry.

Debbie burst into tears as she went in and held my hand as tightly and yet as carefully as she possibly can, like she's holding a precious and yet fragile porcelain. "Oh, young miss. You are too kind to a servant like me. Please rest assured, I will give you the utmost of what this lowly one has to offer."

I squeezed her shoulder for a bit as I then lifted my skirt the size and weight of a hot-air balloon. I swear to god, if not the wedding, this fashion-style is going to be the death of me.

As I opened the carriage door, I was met by the lukewarm breeze of autumn, some of my treases swayed, joining the sideward movement of its browned leaves. I watched as the earth was covered in different shades of browns and decay, the scene highlighting the grand stature of the Borgund Straeces.

I was then escorted by the footman out the carriage. Debbie and other maids ensured that every step of the way, I was cared for and my make up and dress were intact. This really makes one feel like an important person no?

I internally grinned to myself. If they only knew. Ah, whatever.

After multiple information bombs, thanks to--surprise, surprise--Erin's real father, Marquess Farron. Yeah, the guy's apparently truly just a father who misses his daughter. (Don't look at me like that, it's not like you knew, too okay? Calm down. ) Who would've known? Plus I learned so much more that I was gobsmacked for a good thirty minutes before I was forcibly sat up by my personal maid. I made the carriage wait for more than forty minutes. I'm aware that it was so rude of me... But I can't possibly be blamed for losing it for a good minute, am I right?

The marquess embraced me tightly, as he was then led to a different carriage. He insisted to accompany me but was unfortunately met by disapproval from his council. Tradition here mandates that fathers of the bride should accompany the groom as a show of trust and passage of responsibility.

As I was pondering over the amount of information I gained, the sounds of a grand entrance broke into the calming silence of the church's grounds. the groom's entourage as a sign of trust and passing of the "guiding light" to the groom who is now tasked to care for the bride in the "next half of her life."

Light. Boy do I have much to say about that.

As I was just about to walk on the pathway that may or may not lead to my very own death I heard a somber, baritone voice that broke through the coldness of the chilling wind.

"My lady," the auburn-haired prince beckoned as I turned to face him. I was overtook by just how devastatingly-handsome he is.

I-is he aware of just how.. Dub-dub, dub-dub.

Suddenly, his face lit up as the muscles on his cheeks contorted to an almost foreign emotion on his countenance. I unintentionally wiped my eyes to make sure that I'm seeing right.

Did the Sun just rise from the west?

He smiled. Genuinely, might I add. He looked somewhat relieved, and for the first time hopeful. As I was still gathering myself with the shock brought by this beautiful creature, he gallantly extended his hand to me.

His palm opened generously as the crown of his head was hailed by the risen Sun.

Just as I was about to take his hand, a rush of surging force ferried me, floating in mid-air, akin to a paper doll blown by a mere sigh.