Chapter 2: Livin' the dream

Irene Kim

The more I delve into the narrative's universe, the more tragic the antagonist life's become. I'm utterly frustrated to how much I admire the one who've written this complex masterpiece. (Lol, just look at my way of speech... Because the story's set on old england's caste feudal system, I adapted to their language like the maniac that I am..)

The way she fleshed out the characters to be multi-faceted and yet charismatic/likable in every sense of the word is beyond me. The world building, wise use of symbolism to aid on the atmosphere, and the open-ended bittersweet ending were such a delight! Also, I learned new english and foreign vocabulary words piling upto some profound adages to boot. Not a single moment of my time was wasted!

Currently, I have been staring blankly at the ceiling of my bedroom, my arms spread widely whilst having a finished book in hand..At a lost for words (which rarely happens by the way)..

Magnus.. Ugh! I can't stop thinking about him.

Crimson red hair, purple gem-like orbs for eyes.. To end up like that.. I can't put my finger on it but after thinking of everything he's been through, I suddenly felt moist building up on the sides of my eyes.

Imagine growing up in an inhospitable household, being caged in a dark room all your life, abused and tortured by his father and.. Even sexually harassed by a maid.. Having your first friend be revealed as your rival after all... The betrayal that turned him into a Paragon Villain.

I say Paragon because in my opinion, although this troupe is often used for protagonists, as an antagonist he seems to be a paramount version

I say Paragon because in my opinion, although this troupe is often used for protagonists, as an antagonist he seems to be a paramount version. Like Batman's Dark Night Joker.. (Or maybe even better?)

In the end, it was hinted that he died due to Ava (Female lead, the heroine) and Bryce's grand scheme.

Although I know it's necessary for a story to have an antagonist, I have this ominous feeling that the writer intended a life worse than death for Magnus. I'll give it to him (or her), he writes well but just how are the odds? They say "every dog has its day" but damn, not a single moment was the antagonist in a good position! And when he was released from dungeon (as he killed his sadistic father who tortured him all his life), he already lost his sanity so even if his plans are dubiously ferocious and meticulously crafted (for it all mostly succeeded if it weren't for Ava), can it be considered a win when he's already twisted harder than any pretzel?

Okay, you might be thinking that almost all I ever think about is the antagonist(villain).. I mean, you're not wrong. I do love his tragic character but don't think I don't admire the inner-workings of the protagonists' minds (both the male and female leads). They're interesting characters, too. The man's brave, tactical, and powerful whilst the female lead is a refreshing valiant heroine (I think she's more fit to be the Emperor if it weren't for her soft-spot for the male lead.)... If I was any normal reader, I'd be head-over-heels for the main characters as well.. But as you already know, I'm not (READING MANIAC, CHECK CHAPTER 1), and there's something captivating about Magnus that I can't just shake off..