Chapter 9: I don't remember being this dense!

Erin

The man in his forties turned to Lucas and I "Young miss, welcome to Astrea. May I ask for your hand?"

Astrea... I've read in a research before that Astrea is the name of Lady Justice's, Themis of the Greek mythology, daughter. (I used to research about myths and the like to add depth to my novels.) Later on in the said myth, Astrea dies and becomes the constellation and astrological sign, Virgo... She also brought with her mother's (Themis) scales that turned out to be another astrological sign, Libra. The author of this novel is really meticulous.. Although, this refuge for convicts wasn't mentioned in the novel... Perhaps it is on a serial counterpart! Omg, will I be able to uncover a bunch of side stories? I felt exhilarated as I pondered on another matter.. He's asking for my hand (literally, alright?) I bet he's checking for past offences to make sure I'm not just a murderer or maybe a spy. There's a spell for that which he can activate with just looking at a person but since my rare elemental magic and attributes are sealed, he didn't sense anything from my body so he needs direct contact to be able to sense my aura (if I'm hiding anything with ill-intent). I placed my hand on his open palm and for a while, he held it in as a glowing luminescence flashed before our eyes. After a few seconds, he finally let go of my hand and faced me with a pleasing sincere smile.

"My lady, I'm sure your origins are not as simple seeing that you can seal off your magic in such a impenetrable fashion. Despite that, you have no past aggressions and any ill-intent, so you may stay in Astrea as much as you see fit. My name is Olsen, right in front of me is Bow. May we know who you are?"

So Magnus is incognito, too huh? (Although his red hair and purple eyes are glaring give-aways of his true identity, some people especially criminals color their hair red for the sake of intimiding outsiders. His eyes are masked with a magic veil that only light weilders can see through of so since I am one, I can see him without any obstructions. Others will see his eyes having a common brown color.) I see. He's even using the nickname he gave to Bryce when they were secretly meeting up as children. He must really like this place.. Which I know nothing of...I gulped as I clutched on my hood even tighter "I-I am Erin."

"Oh, I see" the man exclaimed in a knowing timbre "You must be hiding your identity for our sake. Please feel free to let your guard down around us. We are all out laws here, there's no need to shoulder all that burden alone."

So he assumes I'm a highly sought-for class A convict. I smiled bitterly, this man is really too kind. Since this misunderstanding had gone far enough, I guess I should stick with it. "I'm afraid I can not. I will endanger all of you. Just one night will suffice. I am immensely grateful for your generosity."

Hearing my voice clearly, Bow (Magnus' nickname) looked at me, his gaze containing a glint of familiarity. Oops, no go mister. You're not supposed to see me here. I waived my hand to my head..

"Also I am terribly exhausted. I am glad to be able to make your acquaintance, sir Olsen, Bow and Lucas.. But unfortunately, I must take my leave." I bowed to each of them.

"Alright then, Erin. If one night is just what you need, we understand. Take a rest as we officially start our prayer for the gods. Lucas, as always, Bow and I are counting on you to lead it. After that, please guide miss Erin to our dining hall."

"Yes, sir." Lucas answered courteously. "We'll be taking our leave, then."

**

Everyone gathered around the bonfire and made a large circle surrounding it. In the middle was Lucas and three other men with muscular bodies. Right now, Lucas is even more bare (all of them are actually but god damn is he the finest one here. Also he has a dragon on his shoulder... What is that all about? ), wearing only a red and white cloth with yellow tassles as his makeshift pants. There were people tending to musical instruments at the side with their drums and harps. The drums produced a somewhat baritone tone that can be heard from their playing. The sweet serenity of the harp music juxtaposed to the deep beats from the drums creating a melody similar to military music in my past life with a hint of foreign mystique. The group encircling started chanting in Latin which, I know of course, but I was only intermediate at that specific language so I can only make out some words and not entirely understand the song. Ah, all I know is that this is a prayer for the gods as thanksgiving. All at once, the four men started dancing in sync with the music. They moved their legs in a pattern and swung their swords as if fighting an invisible enemy.