Feelings

Before we begin, i'd like to give a shoutout to @grassgoat  !! thank you

Tord pulled the mask down, leaning into his work. The sautering tool sparked and buzzed close to the mask, sealing the wires into a green motherboard. He leaned over to a leather notebook, recording his every action, in case this prototype fails.

Again.

Tord picked up another wire, checking it to make sure he had the right one. It was kind of hard to see through the mask, so he just guessed it was the right one and attached it to his creation. He sautered one last wire on and slid the whole thing into the empty goggles. He closed the small hatch with a mini-screwdriver, securing the motherboard in temporarily. He flicked the small switch on the other side of the machine, the screen in front of him lighting up. Green text displayed in blocky letters, LOADING, with three small dots following it.

It was done.

Three minutes later, the goggles were securely strapped onto a D-Class personnel.

"Now, D-10679, just relax and don't touch your face." Tord said, leaving the testing room and entering his lab. He sat down at the computer and opened up the program for controlling the goggles. He dragged a file for forward movement into the control panel and clicked play. He jumped up and peered out the window to see if it would work.

The D-class's neck jerked for a second, then with stiffness, their legs began to move. One, two, three, four steps.

It worked!

Tord turned and jumped up, shaking with excitement.

A loud boom knocked him off his pedestal of joy. He turned back to the glass and saw the D-Class laying on the ground, his head completely missing. Tord sighed dejectedly, going into the room and retrieving what was left of the goggles. A hunk of blown up metal. More debris than anything. He could see the exact spot where the thing malfunctioned, right in the spot where he was unsure about the wires.

"Maybe I should check the wiring next time.." Tord muttered to himself.

He sat back down at his desk, and pulled another green board out his drawer. He only had two left. And he needed to make them count.

This needed to work.

And he was going to make sure of it.

...

Tom rolled over in the scratchy sheets of his bed, trying to go back to sleep. When he realized he wasn't going back to sleep, he kicked the blankets off, and swung his legs over the side of the bed. As he rubbed his eyes, he felt something strange bubbling his chest, something he couldn't quite place his finger on. What could it be? Rage? Fear?

Joy.

It was joy.

He was happy.

For the first time in a few years, he woke up feeling happy.

Why was he happy? The answer flew into his mind like a gentle dove landing on his finger.

Dr.L

Before he had been taken to the Foundation, he was miserable. Stuck at a dead-end job that paid poorly, no real friends, slight alcohol problem.. When he wasn't working, he was either sleeping, drinking or laying around his one bedroom apartment contemplating death. He never really ate full meals, only small snacks to keep himself alive.

Now, he was getting full meals everyday, socializing, and generally getting better.

And even feeling...certain emotions again. Emotions he hadn't felt in a long time.

Tom had the goal to escape the Foundation, but now..he wasn't sure he wanted to leave.

He wasn't sure about anything.

Except for one little thing.