Falling

"What's the weather like outside now?"

"It's winter now. It was snowing this morning, I think it stopped a little while ago though."

A pause.

"Can I see it?"

A sharp inhale, already answering the question.

"Someday, I'm sure you will see it again. All I can do is hope I can be there."

"Thank you."

...

The plan was to plug in the USB, which had a pre-programmed file on it which would let Tom move without the remote.

Tord opened the file and dragged it into his custom program, all the parts popping into their respective spots. The animation was jerky and slow, a surprise for the Site Directors computer. The piece of machinery before Tord had the power to take hundreds of lives in an instant. The program finally connected with a ding, and the play button popped up in the corner. He hovered over the mouse, trying to think about what he was about to do, but something was stopping him. He pressed the button and the program began running- for about five seconds.

The program crashed.

Tord was greeted by a blue screen and a harsh beeping emitting from the computer. A dull thump sounded from across the room as Tom collapsed, followed by a mechanical whoosh as all the secured doors leading to the room opened simultaneously. Tord bolted out of his seat to heave Tom upwards, only for Tom to begin spasming wildly. Tord dropped him in a mild panic, a flicker of worry running undetected through his head. A green line formed on Tom's visor, splitting and morphing into two 'eyes', indicating he was online.

Tord flinched as a siren began to ring through the entire facility, screaming and crashing and roaring was able to be heard echoing through the halls. Tord would've immediately forgotten that the computer crashed, his only then problem being Tom going down. Now he had to deal with the rest of that mess. Tord hopped over to the intercom, and without even thinking of the widespread panic he was about to cause, stated that the Site Director was dead and he was taking over.

Sirens wailed in the background, alerting many staff members that a full containment breach was in progress. However, what Tord did not know was that when the Site Director's computer crashed, everything went offline. Which, in turn resulted in all doors unlocking and opening. Which gave everything access to get out, as in SCPs, D-Class, and everything in between.

Grabbing Tom roughly by the arm, Tord stepped carefully over the leaking corpses and out the door. He went down all the precautionary halls and doorways, and finally made it to the main halls. Multiple staff members sprinted past him as the pack of SCP-939 gave chase, paying almost no mind to Tord and his companion. The pair arrived at the epicenter of the fighting, the lunchroom. It was a fairly large room, quite possibly the largest at the site. Tables had been flipped as a means of protection, but it had little to no success. Blood was spattered across the walls, many corpses slumped up on various surfaces. Multiple D-Class were fighting for their lives against escaped SCPs, and it was a ruthless battle. Tord scooted along the wall, Tom following suite. He crossed the room and perched himself atop a fallen vending machine. Tord dug in his pocket and pulled out the controller for Tom's visor, sending him out instantly.

Tord targeted SCPs, hoping to save as many people as he could, but not necessarily for the good of their lives. His plan was to save their lives, gain their trust, and to make them not question how the Site Director died, or why he of all people took control.

Tom's bloodied figure could be seen halfway across the room, his hands morphed into that of of the monsters claws, slashing out left and right. Tord felt the adrenaline and excitement rushing through him.

It was empowering.

Tord laughed maniacally, feeling like he was in the most control, he had the power to give life or to take it. Watching from his perch as Tom locked his sights on a familiar face.

Dr. M.

A million forbidden questions bolted through Tord's mind, the amount being purely enough to breach the emotional barrier for a few seconds.

Tom instantly was after her, some instinct causing him to disobey the controls and Tord's objective, going after her precisely. Tord wanted him to stop, needed him to stop that, Eva wasn't supposed to die! She was chased into the farthest corner of the lunchroom, and Tord watched, frozen in place, as Tom lifted her by the collar of her coat, his blood-stained claws piercing her shirt effortlessly.

Suddenly, a man with a bright green sweatshirt tackled the pair in the near distance, bringing down Tom and Dr. M

"No!" Tord cried out as another body slammed into his own, knocking the remote out of his hands and across the floor. His ears rung as his head smacked into the concrete floor. He heard the familiar voice of Matt, one of the two D-class that had gone missing a couple months back.

"Edd! I've got him!" he shouted, the pressure on Tord's back increasing. Obviously, anyone was stronger than Tord at this point, as he'd been forgetting to eat food or drink anything other than coffee.

It's pretty hard having zero emotions.

"Good! I'm gonna go free Tom!" Edd, the second absent D-Class, called back.

"NO! You can't do that! The visor is attached to his brain! You're gonna kill him! The Red Army needs him! He's an asset!" Tord cried to no avail. Matt shoved his face into the cold concrete floor, and he was forced to watch as Edd restrained Tom.

Tom was preoccupied fighting Edd back, and trying to re-grab Eva as she scrambled away. Tom should've been much stronger than Edd, but he had been barley moving for weeks on end while he was hospitalized.

Edd gripped the visor tightly, Tom clawing viciously at him the whole time. Edd planted his feet on Tom's chest, and with all his might pulled up.

Tom's body went with it, and a loud crack sounded as the visor detached from Tom's face.

"NO!" Tord screamed, Matt finally letting him go. Edd tossed the visor away, letting Tord dive wildly after it. He snatched it from the floor, attempting in vain to shove the wires back within the metal box.

He had to fix it. Otherwise he'd be a failure to the Red Army and The Foundation and the 05 council would find out and they would terminate him and-

Sudden, jolting pain coursed through Tord as the wires connected around his hands. He fell to the ground, convulsing violently, his teeth clenched and tears beginning to stream from his eyes. He couldn't scream or cry out for help, he was go to die there, on the blood spattered floor, surrounded by hundreds of other bodies, just another number in a body count-

The pain slowed and finally came to stop, and Tord could feel gentle hands scooping him up from the hard floor. His ears were ringing loudly and someone was shouting something, and Tom, oh god Tom what did I do?

Tord looked over from where his head was dangling and got a glimpse of red through his blurry vision. The soft face shape staring back at him was distinguished by two squinting black holes, and oh god there was so much blood. Tord was so tired, his muscles jerking wildly, and whoever was carrying him was so strong, how were they that strong? He could still hear screaming and shouting, and then there was a close by thunking sound. He took a deep breath of fresh air, something he hadn't had in what felt like months. The muffled sound of a car door rang in his ears and a soft material appeared underneath him. The second his head hit the cushion the world started to fade to black.

The last thing he saw was Tom being laid next to him, eyes closed and scratched up, looking the most at peace as he'd been in a long time.