Chapter 8: Chance

“Hey you,” A voice filled with cheer sounded from behind him. He turned in his desk to look back at Shelby who was twirling a piece of blonde hair around her finger and smiling brightly in his general direction. “Uhh. Hi,” he murmured and turned back to face the front of the class. Not that he was paying the least bit of attention to the lecture they were getting. Shelby huffed, irritated, and touched his shoulder lightly. He heard slight sounds of movement followed by a gentle breath on the back of his neck, she had leaned closer to him. He shivered slightly then she spoke, “So I was wondering if, maybe, you would, I don’t know, want to grab a pizza with me?” His face remained expressionless although inside a hurricane of emotions were coursing through his form. He coughed into his arm a couple times and then turned back to her, “I’m sorry. I have… other arrangements for the evening. Thank you for the offer.” She scoffed slightly and replied, “No need for the formalities. If your so-called plans happen to fall out, give me a call. Kay?” Chance nodded once more before turning back around.

It was too soon.

'How could anyone even think… How could she have the nerve to… Has everyone forgotten what happened?'

He continued to ponder how ignorant the majority of people were when the final bell rang, dismissing him from classes for the day. In fear that Shelby would try and strike up a conversation, he grabbed his bag and bolted out the door before she ever had the chance.

The entire drive home he had managed to keep himself in-check, but once he was locked in the safety of his room, it hit him. He rampaged around, destroying anything and everything. She was there, he could feel her and he was determined to wreak havoc on anything that brought back the slightest of memories. Of course, this meant he damaged anything he could get his hands on. Unfortunately for Chance, he didn’t quite grasp the concept that she was not lingering in his favorite hoodie or his sheets, the only place she still remained, was in his memories. Nevertheless, every item in his room ended in shreds or shards until there was nothing left.

With one final surge of anger, he punched the wall as hard as he could. Only met with a dent on the hard surface, he fell to the ground, clutching his hand. A painful cry ripped from his mouth and pervaded the air through his house. He didn’t care who heard, he wanted people to know. He didn’t want to be alone in his mourning. Everyone should be feeling the same tragic sadness that he felt all the way to his bones.

He cried because he knew her so well, yet he never really knew her at all and he cried because he loved her, but never got a chance to.  As he lay in the middle of the chaotic wasteland that was once his room, he couldn’t decide if he loved or hated his Cassandra. No matter what, she would always be his Cassandra.

He crawled through the house until he reached the den. Chance’s Dad, perpetually Paul, had always kept the liquor cabinet locked, ever since he was a kid, but since Cassandra’s disappearance, that had suddenly changed. He pulled out a half full bottle of Gentlemen Jack,  unscrewed and discarded of the lid, brought the bottle to his lips and tipped it back, The warm liquid brought a slight heat to his mouth and throat before it began to burn. He kept drinking without stopping until he felt the ache deep in his stomach where the liquor had settled. He stood and walked to the mirror that was hanging against the back wall, his reflection left him with an unsettling feeling. It was still him, but not quite, more like a ghost of what he used to be. He could no longer bear the sight and reached for his phone.

Chance looked at the screen for what seemed like an eternity when he made the decision. He picked up his phone and found the number. As it rang, he stumbled back into his room, gathering clothes that had survived his rage and threw them on. On the 5th ring she picked up. “Yeah… Mhm… Can you meet me at the park? Great. See you soon.” And with that he shoved the phone deep into the pocket of his jeans and went  on his ‘date’ with Shelby.