Chapter 9: Chance

“I’m so glad you changed your mind,” she smiled and held his hand tightly across the table. “Chance? Chance!” He was staring out the window, looking at the street. He had sworn he caught a glimpse of her, he knew every inch and curve of Cassandra and felt a moment of intense hope that was shattered by Shelby’s shouts. He turned to her and smiled apologetically but when he looked back out the window, a girl stood there that had no resemblance to Cassandra. Not even this woman’s hair color matched, although all he could really see was a blur of colors, his vision was slightly off. Chance with a shake of his head, turned his attention back to his agitated date. Her eyebrows were furrowing and she pulled her hand away. Chance was more than okay with this.

Chance took a moment to take in her appearance. Her blonde hair was pulled up into some sort of messy-bun and he thought she was wearing lipstick. She had changed from a t-shirt and jeans to an orange sundress, which made her skin look a little weird. His mind began to start comparing the two, Cassandra and Shelby, but he quickly extinguished the thought. No one was worthy of comparison. She was breathtakingly beautiful but in the most subtle ways. Her details were what made her beautiful. If you glanced over her, she would simply appear to be just another girl. But if you stopped, if you really looked at her, she could stop the world with a simple smile or with a flutter of her eyelashes.

Maybe he was being a bit harsh. He had invited her here, although, he could not remember why. Maybe this was some way to get back at Cassandra for leaving him. Guilt suddenly filled him, why was he trying to punish Cassandra? Yes, she had left but through no fault of her own. He rubbed his eyes. “I’m sorry, Shelby. You don’t deserve this. I know I seem-” he stopped mid-sentence, seeming to have lost his train of thought. “You seem?” Shelby prompted him. “Hmm? Oh. Yes. I know I seem distracted but I’m just… There’s a lot going on right now.” When he looked up she was smiling understandingly at him. “It’s okay,” she reassured. “If now is not a good time, I can wait.” He chuckled at this. As if his problems would disappear within a weeks time. “Don’t hold your breath,” he replied, shaking his head. She stood up slightly and leaned across the table, looking him directly in the eyes. Their faces were no more than 4 inches apart when she insisted pronouncing each word slowly, “I will wait.”

Something came over Chance then, something wild and filled with desire, desire to be wanted and loved. He didn’t know why but he closed the distance between them, crushing his mouth against hers. She squeaked slightly in surprise at his sudden drive but she quickly returned the kiss. His tongue slipped into her mouth and a large hand pressed against the back of her neck, pulling her against him. Shelby moaned quietly and then quickly pulled away, not far though, their foreheads still touching, breath mingling as they gasped for air. “I’m s-sorry,” He tried but she silenced him. She smiled and made a gesture at the crowded restaurant and then looked at her car parked right outside the window.  Her eyes flicked up and met his and she whispered two simple words. “Your place?”