Chapter 22: Chance

“I don’t want you anymore,” He had to close his eyes and grit his teeth, he knew if he looked at her face, watched as he shattered her world, he wouldn’t be able to stop himself from taking her in his arms and kissing her, trying to make everything better, trying to make the pain go away. Chance also knew, if he told her the real reason, she wouldn’t take him seriously, he had to break her heart or she would never leave. They were at the park, sitting on a pair of swings. Chance thought it would be symbolic, they met in this park, he pushed her on these swings. Now they were not swinging, simply swaying lightly next to each other as the dark surrounded them.

When Cassandra said nothing, Chance eventually looked up. She was staring at the ground, knees together, feet sprawled apart. She was pushing herself with the very tips of her Converse. He looked at her then, really looked at her. She was wearing leggings with his sweatshirt, as always, her hair was a mess and fluffy and crazy, her face was blank, a clean slate, emotionless, and yet she was beautiful and Chance couldn’t believe he was letting this go. But he was, he had to. Every day his thoughts grew darker and slowly he had been able to control his emotions.

Cass helped every way she possibly could, always finding ways to make him smile and laugh. He could see it though, Chance could physically see himself pulling her down with him. She was trying, she really was, but her smiles weren’t as bright, she didn’t laugh as much, he would call her at 3 in the morning and she would be crying, her anxiety was coming back, shaking hands and skittish eyes. Chance was causing this, he was hurting her even though he didn’t want to. He loved her too much to force her to endure this with him.

“This has been over for a long time,” He ran a hand across his face, “I haven’t felt the same way, I know you’ve noticed a change.” She lowered her head, her hair cascading down to hide her face, “I’m done with you Cass, it’s over.” His voice broke at the end of his sentence but he didn’t think she noticed because although she made no noise her shoulders convulsed in the slightest way and he knew she was crying.

He balled his fists and forced himself not to care, he was protecting her and that was all that mattered. She moved then, quickly and efficiently. She moved directly in front of him, in between his legs. He couldn’t help but to look up, he could see that she had in fact been crying. She moved both of her hands down to his face, placing one on each side, brushing her thumbs across his cheeks and jawline. Her lips quivered before she whispered, “I’m here, Chance. I will always be here, please don’t push me away.” He started to protest but she cut him off with her mouth, leaning down to him and pressing her lips against his.

That was enough, he had tried to protect her but Chance wanted Cassandra and Cassandra wanted Chance. He kissed her back eagerly, passionately, his hands moved to her hips and he dug his fingertips into the skin lightly. She moaned quietly into his mouth and Chance moved his hands down, brushing her thighs and grabbing her tightly. He stood up and pulled her off the ground, her legs automatically wrapping around his hips. They didn’t break the kiss and he walked over to her car and laid her gently down on the hood. Her legs uncurled and rested on the bumper as he leaned down over her, moving from her mouth, down to her neck. He loved her and he was never letting her go again. Cassandra was his girl and no one else’s.

The singular street light above them, blinked once, twice, three times before its yellow glow gave up and left them in the complete darkness. They felt safe with each other, alone in the world in that moment. Neither of them noticed the red pickup truck parked across the lot.