Chapter 11: Cassandra

Although the task at hand was not exactly a pleasant one, Cassandra just could not force the smile off her face. She was currently scrubbing down the grimy floors of a bathroom that was nearly identical to the one in her room. The cleaner was so pungent that her eyes were watering and her arms ached and trembled from the pressure she was applying to the white tiles, sweat was running down her face and her uniform was stuck uncomfortably to her body, but her smile still remained. Toby had kept to his word and got her a job. She knew it was mainly because he wanted the extra money her check would bring, but she didn’t care. She got to stand outside, she had the opportunity to interact with someone other than Toby. At this point, she couldn’t ask for more.

She wanted to make sure the bathroom was completely sanitary since she first hand knew how careless some of the other maids were. Although, for the longest time, Toby didn’t allow anyone else to come in the room, probably in fear she would do something stupid. She had learned her lesson and would not purposely upset Toby anytime soon. She has spent so much trapped with the disgusting mess that Toby made, she was utterly thankful to be able to create a place that was mess-free.

Before the interview, Toby had made it painfully clear she was not to say a word unless he otherwise specified. Now, this was by no means a classy, super high-end interview. The manager of the motel gave her a quick look over and asked Toby some questions. “Can she talk?” Toby shrugged and nodded. “Yeah, she is just a little shy, isn’t that right?” He wrapped an arm around her and squeezed her in what was meant to seem like a loving embrace but what she actually knew to be a warning. She nodded and offered a small smile with a shrug of her own. She would not mess this up.

So here she was, fluffing cheap pillows and spraying down even cheaper linens in the Georgia heat. It was a long day, she worked from 6 in the morning, cleaning the small lobby and kitchen area, until 6 in the evening. When she returned back to their room that afternoon, she still had the remains of a smile on her face. Toby was sitting on the end of the bed, his face cast with light from the T.V. Not even he could ruin this day. She had felt the sunlight on her skin, the ache of sore muscles, and the weariness of a long days work. She never thought those were enjoyable things but at least Toby had given her something, a whole new outlook on this life.

She murmured a greeting and slipped past him into the bathroom. She peeled her uniform off, and picked it up, flattening it against the counter. She had three of these and she doubted highly Toby would let her wash them in between weeks. She bent over and turned the hot water all the way up. Pulling the curtain shut, she slid under the spray of warm water and felt her muscles loosen slightly. This was the first moment of bliss she had felt in months upon months. She never thought it would be possible to feel good again, but here she was. She ran her fingers through her hair and worked in small amounts of the products the motel provided her with.

When she shut the water off and opened the curtain, Toby was leaning in the doorway. She made no move to cover herself, she simply stood there and let him look. The thought that entered her mind next was one that she couldn’t even begin to fathom what she was thinking.

Maybe he’s not that bad of a guy afterall. He had given her an opportunity of a lifetime and on some level, he gave her a sense of freedom, she owed him for that. He stepped forward and she stiffened slightly. He must've noticed because his next step was more cautious. When he was standing in front of her, he reached out and let his fingers trail down each of her visible ribs. It was the first tender touch he had ever showed towards her. His eyes were on her body but hers were glued to his face, trying to anticipate what would come next.   

“Are you hungry?” There was no way she had heard him correctly, but his eyes flicked up to hers and she saw the look of concern on his face. She realized that Toby was actually handsome when he wasn’t trying to be overly cruel to her. For the first time, she actually looked at him. His brown hair was growing out slightly into soft curls, his eyes were brown too, she couldn’t help but think he looked slightly like a puppy. He had stubble covering his cheeks and chin which was actually kind of attractive. She couldn't believe she was thinking these things about this man but she was.

She gave a small tentative nod and bit her lip anxiously, afraid she may have fallen into some sort of trap. He nodded and curled his fingers around her waist, dragging the thick skin of his thumb across her smooth, paleness that contrasted harshly with his. She was still standing in the shower, she realized and slowly stepped out, closer to Toby. Despite her being wet, his arms curled around her in an actual embrace and she was shocked. Slowly, her arms wrapped around him too. They stayed there for a moment, Cassandra refusing to be the one to end the moment in fear of how he might react. After a few more seconds he pulled away and left her standing confused and cold in the empty bathroom.

When she dried off and got dressed, he drove her to the nearest Waffle House and told her to order whatever she wanted. This had never happened before and Cassandra was having a hard time comprehending this was happening, but he didn’t have to tell her twice. That night, for the first time since she had been home, safe in her bed, she fell asleep with a full stomach and a happy mind.