CHAPTER 8

-Inside Fox River-

 In the infirmary, Sara is checking up on Michael's foot as he lies back in the patient's chair.

 "No redness or swelling, so there's no sign of infection. I'll keep you on antibiotics for the next 10 days. Which should be good." She state after finish checking his foot. "Michael, you understand, by law, I'm obligated to file a report if I feel there's been prisoner misconduct. There's no way this injury happened by stepping on a blade in a garden shed."

 Michael put his sock and boot back on. "If you file a report, things could get a lot worse for me." He answer not even looking at her.

 "They're not already?"

 "Not compared to what they could be. I've made some enemies."

 "Yeah. You scared?" Sara ask. Michael just look at her then back to his boot. "Men. Okay, um... here's what I think, I think you are scared. And you wouldn't be human if you weren't scared in a place like this."

 "When I was young, I couldn't sleep at night because I thought there was a monster in the closet." Michael state as he finish tying his boot. "But my brother told me there wasn't anything in the closet but fear. And fear wasn't real. He said it wasn't made of anything, it was just... air. Not even that. He said you just have to face it. You just have to open that door and the monster would disappear."

 "Your brother sounds like a smart man." Sara comment.

 "He is but my sister was smarter." Michael smirk.

 Sara raise her eyebrows. "You've a sister."

 "In here though, you face your fear, you open that door, and there's a hundred more doors behind it. And the monsters that are hiding behind them are all real." He change the subject not wanting to blow his sister cover.

 "If you want, I could recommend you be sent to ADSEC." Sara suggest.

 "With the rape victims and the snitches." He raise his eyebrow at the suggestion and jump off the bed.

 "It would keep you safe." She reason him.

"Thanks, but I think I'd like to face the monsters on my own." Michael state and walk out of the infirmary.

-Irene's apartment-

 Irene watch the CCTV that she paid someone to put inside Veronica office. She hear all the conversation between Veronica and Leticia. The girl wait for Leticia to come back while eating a slice of pizza. Much to her surprise, someone else walk in the office. Veronica thought it was Leticia when actually it was a man in suit.

 "Special Agent Kellerman, Secret Service. We've been informed that you obtained a copy of the surveillance tape entered as evidence in the Lincoln Burrows trial."

 "Is there a problem with that?" Veronica wonder.

 "We're just following up."

 "Has there been some amendment to the Freedom of Information Act that I'm not aware of?" Veronica frown.

 Kellerman chuckle. "You know, when a prisoner gets close to the end of his time on death row, there's a lot of last minute-"

 "I'm sorry, I still don't understand why this would be a problem for the Secret Service."

 "It's not. The prosecution made its case far beyond any reasonable doubt and we know that we have the right man. That being said, if you come across anything that could shed some light on his innocence... I'm offering my help." Kellerman offer.

 "Sounds great. I really appreciate you coming by." Veronica state insincerely. Both of them stand up and shake hands. "Do you have a card, Agent Kellerman?"

 "'course." He took out a business car and hand it to her. "Don't hesitate to call." He remind before walk out of the office.

 Veronica stood for a moment before she lunged out of the office. "Leticia..."

 Irene just watch all of it unfold. She know that someone who frame her brother will came and meet Veronica. At the same time, they came to get rid of Leticia. She felt guilty for setting the trap even knowing what will happen to the women but she need to help her brothers and she need the person who frame his brother take the bait. He did.

 "Agent Kellerman huh?" Irene mutter in thought.

-Inside Fox River-

 Days later, Irene came with LJ to visit Lincoln in prison. Their face light up seeing each other. Lincoln was happy to see his son and his sister. Irene was happy to see her brother and LJ for the first time smile at sight of his father.

 "So, here we are." LJ start laughing a little making Irene and Lincoln smile.

 "Yeah. How you been?" Lincoln ask.

 "You know, in trouble. Thank to Aunt Rene to bust me out." He glance at his aunt who he note happy at seeing her brother.

 Lincoln laugh at glance at his sister. "How about you Ren?"

 Irene shrug. "Well, accept from getting your son out of trouble, I'm good."

 "How college?"

 "Finish it."

 The man look at her shock. "You finish your second study actually?" The girl just smile innocently at her brother which made him chuckle. He then glance back at his son who happily watch the interaction between them. "What about your mother?"

 "She's good." LJ simply answer.

 "I, um... been talking to the chaplain and they'd like me to decide on who I should, er, have at the, um... I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you get to the end, you start to realise what's important to you. You know. Who really matters to you. And, er, you know, that leaves you, Ren and Mike. You're the only blood I've got left in this... this world." Lincoln stutter as all smiles all their face vanish.

 "Dad, I gotta say, I'm not really following what you're saying." LJ state as he slightly welling up. Iren cover her mouth to cover her sobs but tear start falling from her face.

 "Well, er... in the end, the only thing that matters is love. Blood, family, you." Lincoln explain stuttering. LJ nod understanding. "Um." Lincoln put his hand against the cage above the window. "Give me your hand."

 Irene just silently watch, as she smile sadly at the scene. LJ finally be able to happily see his father but that happiness will be rip away from him.

 "What are you doing?" LJ frown.

 "Give me your hand. Give me your hand." Lincoln request.

 The girl seeing his nephew hesitation rub his back and offer him a smile. She took the boy hand which shaking and put his hand opposite of his father's cage. She put her hand as support of her nephew hand who was sobbing.

 "I want you to be there when... I want you to be there the day before I die. So I can see you. So I can hold you." He explain which LJ nod not wanting to speak. "I want you to be there too Ren." The girl also nod as tears keep streaming down her face.

 "I, er... I love you. I've always loved you. Both of you."

 LJ smile at the word. "This whole thing, er... I don't know if I can take it."

 "Me either. I don't have a choice. You do." Lincoln state as he laugh a little to ease the mood. LJ sniff at his words while Irene wipe her tears with her sleeve as Lincoln sadly look her. Feeling sorry that she have to out there alone since Michael was in prison with him.

 Irene notice him staring at her and chuckle sadly. "Don't look at me like that. I'm okay." Her voice crack a little. "I'm okay." She said once again.

 "I know, because you're the strongest person that I've ever know." Lincoln comment as he pull back his hand along with LJ and Irene.

 "What can I said. I got it from two most important person in my life." She state, sniffing.

 Lincoln smile and ask even when he know the answer. "Who?"

 "My brothers."