Batman

The rain poured down heavily, battering the windows of Wayne Manor with every drop. Bruce Wayne sat in his study, finishing the last of his work for the day. The sound of the rain relaxed him. He sat back on his tall, leather chair, resting his head against the headrest. A gentle knock on the door disturbed him and for a brief moment, he was annoyed; He just wanted to be left in peace after the stressful day at Wayne Enterprises.

"Come in," Bruce announced, letting his annoyance slide for the time being.

The door opened silently, revealing his butler, Alfred Pennyworth on the other side. "Sir, Master Dick has arrived. He's waiting in the sitting room." Alfred told him before taking his leave, closing the door once again. Bruce closed his eyes, leaning back on his chair again, letting the soothing silence wash over him for a moment more.

Dick was sat in the living room, waiting for Bruce to finally make an appearance. It had been two whole weeks since he had last seen his old mentor, and they hadn't parted ways on good terms. They had argued about something minor, but because Bruce always has to get his way, the argument had gotten worse. So, after two weeks of radio silence, Dick plucked up the courage to come and talk to him, hoping they could patch things up and move on.

Bruce was taking his sweet time coming downstairs, and eventually, Dick grew bored of waiting for him. He decided to walk the halls of the house he grew up in, slowly reliving the memories he'd made there.

He stopped in front of a small, wooden picture frame sitting on one of the fireplaces. He picked it up, not realizing how heavy it was, nearly dropping it in the process. Dick took a good, long look at the picture resting in between the cherry wood frames. The sight of it almost brought a tear to his eye, to see a younger version of himself, beaming into the camera whilst stood next to a young, teenage Jason who looked equally happy to be there, and Bruce stood behind them, his hand resting on Dick's shoulder. Dick missed the old days before everything changed. He missed how close he and Bruce used to be, how they were just like a family. Everything was perfect, how did it all go wrong?

"Richard?"

Dick turned around to face Bruce who was now stood in front him, staring at the photo frame in his hands. Dick set the frame carefully back down on the fireplace, clearing his throat.

"What's wrong?" Bruce asked quickly, keeping his tone flat.

Dick was slightly hurt by his words, why must something be wrong for him to come to visit? "Nothing," Dick replied instantly, "I just wanted to see how you were doing."

Bruce nodded in reply, walking past him and into the kitchen. Dick, of course, followed him in, sitting on one of the stools placed at the island in the middle of the spacious kitchen. Bruce began pouring himself a rather large cup of coffee, offering Dick one to which he politely declined.

"Where's Tim?" Dick asked, grabbing the man's attention once more. Dick hadn't known Tim for as long as he had known Jason, but he liked the kid. He'd been Robin for two years now and despite Dick believing that he was the best— him being the original and all— Tim had proved to be way smarter and more of a detective than Dick ever was, which Batman liked.

"In the cave, most likely," Bruce replied still facing away from Dick, who just nodded. After he took a long sip from his mug, Bruce joined Dick at the island, sitting opposite him. "Speaking of your brothers, have you spoken to Jason lately?"

"Not since last week when I ran into him in Blüdhaven."

"Well, I haven't heard from him, he doesn't speak to me anymore," Bruce replied, keeping his eyes fixed on his mug.

"He doesn't speak to any of us anymore, not since..."

Dick trailed off, unable to find the right words. He knew what happened that night five years ago, still haunted Bruce. He didn't sleep easy anymore, neither of them did. Bruce, of course, blamed himself but in the end, it was Jason's impulsiveness and the Joker that got him killed.