When The Truth Hunts You Down

Batman swung vigorously through the city, practically matching Superman's speed in flight. Alfred had sent him coordinates after he'd discovered something he deemed to be alien technology. More specifically, Apokoliptian technology.

He swung from his line one last time, his feet landing roughly on the ground. Ignoring the slight ache in his legs, the Dark Knight broke into a sprint towards the last hope Gotham had.

Superman was not far behind the Bat, although he was surprised that the man had been able to best him in speed; Clark blamed the Apokoliptian effects on the sun for his lack of super speed, but he knew not to doubt Bruce's surge of protectiveness over his city.

Bruce emerged from the darkened alley, expecting to come face to face with an off-world being of some sort. Instead, he came face to face with someone who looked more human than he did at the moment. This is where the coordinates lead him, but there had to be some mistake.

The man, who had been cowering in a corner, upon catching a glimpse of the Dark Knight, stood to his feet with a glimmer of relief in his eyes. He sprinted towards Bruce, showing no signs of infection so Bruce decided to show no hostility; he figured it was a random citizen in need of saving.

"It's not safe out here," Bruce began, his voice turning gruff, "You need to come with me."

"They're here for me."

Bruce turned on his heel, quickly realizing who 'they' were. "What'd you say?" he asked in confusion.

"They're after what's inside me... They've found it!"

Bruce suddenly felt like he was being surrounded. He turned away from the man and stared into the darkness, forcing his eyes to see. Out of the shadows, came the hellish forms of what used to be Gotham's citizens.

The man retreated back to his corner as he left Batman to fend off the crazed attackers. Superman quickly joined the fray, using his laserbeams and flight as an advantage.

The man watched the two heroes win their battle just as the sun was disappearing from the sky. Gotham was running out of time; soon it would be nothing. It was over for him.

Batman turned back to the strange man just as Superman's feet touched the ground. His eyes were closed, and he seemed to be whispering something to himself. Bruce cautiously approached him, until a blinding white light forced him to back away.

When the light died down, the man was lying, unmoving on the ground, sat next to him was a glowing, bronze box.

"What is that?" Bruce questioned as he lifted the cube into his hands. It was surprisingly light, as though it were hollow inside. But it felt strange to touch; it hummed with unfamiliar energy like it was almost a sentient being.

A hand shot out, unexpectedly grabbing Bruce's gloved fore-arm, "Y-you... must protect it... They'll... be... back." A weak, ragged breath left the man's throat before the last of his life left his eyes. Bruce didn't even get the chance to ask him his name.

Soon enough, patches of blue sky began to break through the hazing black and red, and for the first time in what felt like an eternity, Bruce felt the warmth of the sun on his face. Footsteps approached from behind, he didn't need to turn around to know those footsteps belonged to Clark.

"They were looking for him. Or something he had..."

"Where did you get that?" Clark asked, pointing to the box in his friend's hand, completely ignoring Bruce's spoken thoughts.