17

Seventeen
The Trip Back
Pearl Terrilynn
Izuku Midoriya

÷÷÷
Izuku

"Alright! Home here we come!" Kirishima cheered, as we started to board the plane that would take us back to Japan.

There had been a change in plans apparently. Our trip was almost over, my class was heading back to Japan, but after some talking between Principal Nezu, and... Principal Mika I think Mrs. Hawkins called her, they agreed that the guides could come along to see UA for a few months.

"I've always wanted to go to Japan!" Kara exclaimed, "I never thought I would actually get the chance!" She seemed pretty happy.

"Aww man! I really wanna come too!" Ellie complained.

"Who said you're staying behind?" Mrs. Hawkins asked, "You're part of the group at this point, so come on!"

Immediately I saw sparkles go off in Ellie and Pearl's eyes.

They both cheered, and ran to join Kara and Tara.

"What about their luggage?" Uraraka asked.

"Their parents dropped it off earlier, it's already boarded." Mrs. Hawkins said, "I'm sort of surprised Mr. and Mrs. Terrilynn agreed, they're both very protective of their kids."

"Interesting... is there a reason?" Todoroki inquired, looking at her.

"Eh, probably, but not one that I know." She shrugged, "Anyway, let's go! Move it slowpokes!" She ushered us onto the plane, and we took our seats, getting strapped in.

The plane took off not long after.

I sat next to Kacchan in the window seat, and Todoroki sat next to him. In the seats across from us were Kara, Ellie, and Pearl.

"I'm going to get some sleep, I didn't get much last night," Pearl said, shuffling slightly in her seat.

"Need some help?" Ellie asked, raising her hand.

"No, I'll be fine. I haven't used my quirk at all yet today," Pearl smiled slightly, and closed her eyes.

"Jesus Christ, she sure sleeps a lot." Kacchan noted.

"I haven't witnessed her sleeping often." Todoroki replied, looking down at him.

"Hah! While we were stuck in that forest, if she wasn't working or worrying about the others she was sleeping! Kind of stupid if you ask me, who could possibly need that much sleep?" Kacchan glanced at Ellie, as if looking for an answer.

"Sounds like Pearl," Ellie shrugged, "sleeping is like a reset for her. Her quirk causes her nightmares, the more she uses it, the worse the nightmares get. She's woken the whole family up a couple times screaming."

"So that's what you meant if you asked if she wanted help..." I muttered. She nodded.

"She tries to sleep a lot to reset her quirk often," Ellie explained, "my quirk helps her get to sleep, but once she is asleep I can't do much but keep her like that. It sucks, but... well not much we can do about it..." she leaned back. Something told me there was more to this, but we didn't press the matter.

"How do you know it's her quirk?" Todoroki questioned.

"When it first started, she was scared to go to sleep. So our parents tried a lot of things. Brought her to therapy, counseling, went to a doctor, help we even tried drugging her. She always woke up screaming. The doctor finally decided it was the drawback of her quirk. She thinks of it as an equivalent exchange," she sighed, "Pearl terrifies people, in return her quirk terrifies her."