Chapter 1 - Baby meets Daddy

Seattle, Washington State, USA

Kartik's POV

4 years before,

It all started 4 years ago. My carefree life turned into a hell with just a knock on the door. I shouldn't have opened the door.

I was chilling with my boy gang in my farmhouse drinking beer and playing 'dare or extreme dare.' Just then, there was a knock on the door.

"Lemme attend it", I said and got up to open the door. As I opened the door, I found no one outside. It was raining heavily. I was about to close the door that I heard someone sniffling. Just then, my eyes caught the sight of a baby wrapped in a pink towel and placed in a basket at my doorstep. Her eyes were red and puffy and tears rolled down her cheeks.

"What's the matter dude?", Yash asked approaching me from behind.

I was just looking at the baby. She was an exact replica of mine. My eyes, my hair, my eyebrows, everything mine.....

Wait! What the hell am I thinking?

"Whoa! What is this?", Kunal asked.

"A baby", Yash replied.

"Whose baby?", Kunal asked.

Both of them looked at me with narrowed eyes.

"Which girl did you knock up now Kartik?", they asked in unison.

What?!

"Will you both shut up?", I snapped and picked the basket with the baby in it and closed the door behind.

I placed the basket with the baby in it on the kitchen counter. She had stopped crying by now and was sucking her thumb.

"Whose baby is she?", I asked confused.

"Probably yours", Yash and Kunal replied in unison.

"Just shut up, will you?", I snapped at them and they became mum.

"Which parent can be so irresponsible to leave their child at a stranger's doorstep?", I cursed the people who created this creature.

"Whoa! There's a letter", Yash said picking up a letter from the basket.

"Letter?", I asked confused as I snatched the letter from Yash.

I unfolded the letter and started reading it.

The handwriting was familiar....

Dear Kartik,

I know you must be confused right now, but this is real. The baby is yours.

I looked at the baby sharply.

Wait, What!!

I continued reading the letter.

Yes Kartik, you're a father now. Don't freak out please. I doubt if you remember me. Remember in Vegas, that night at the club....

Vegas..... club......night....!!!

Holy shit!!!

Didn't I use protection that night?!

Wait is she Veronica?

I  continued reading it.

Veronica...Remember? It has been two years now.We spent beautiful days in Vegas together but then one day you left, without even informing me. I was broken. Then, I got to know that I was pregnant, pregnant with your baby(obviously because you're the guy to whom I lost my virginity). I decided to keep the baby and then nine months later, on 3rd July she was born. She is beautiful, an exact replica of yours. Her name is Elsa( cuz I was kinda obsessed with this princess during childhood). I took care of her for one year. But I always remain in debt and my financial condition is not so good to take care of a child so I'm handing her over to you. Please take care of her. She's an angel. My flight to Vegas is tonight at 9:00 pm. When you'll get this letter, the flight must've taken off to Vegas. Please don't try to contact me. The baby is not safe with me. I can't take care of her because of my instability. Hope you understand. You'll fall in love with her because she's your daughter. I don't wanna keep any connections with her from now. It's best for her.