Chapter 10 - Payback Time...

Kartik's PoV

"I fear she has lung cancer", the doctor declared and my world turned upside down.

Silence prevailed around me for some seconds. I couldn't hear anything. I became numb. The doctor was speaking something, but I wasn't in a state to hear it. It seemed as if my world stopped.

"Kartik, do you hear me?", the doctor called me, taking me out of the trauma.

"Lu-lung cancer?", I asked, my voice shaking.

"Yes Kartik. However it isn't diagnosed yet but I'm just telling you the possibilities. She has begun showing symptoms. If we do some tests also, I fear the result would be same", the doctor spoke and I stared at him lifelessly.

"You mean....there are chances of it to not to be true, right?", I asked him hopefully.

"5% mostly but to be sure, we'll have to do certain tests on Elsa", the doctor said and I looked at him. I was fiddling with my fingers as I was damn panicked and my forehead was sweating.

"What kind of tests?", I asked him worried.

"See there are three tests - first one is X ray. Then sputum cytology, if her cough is producing sputum then looking at the sputum through the microscope, we can find if lung cancer cells are present or not. Then comes Biopsy", the doctor explained and I got goosebumps listening to the word - '"Biopsy". I knew what it was and I can't see my baby go through that.

"So Kartik....what's your decision? I suggest you to allow for tests as soon as possible", the doctor said and I sighed deeply. I buried my head in my hands and drew a deep breath. I raised my head and looked at the doctor.

"I need to process things in my mind. I can't take an abrupt decision. Biopsy....I mean aren't there any simpler tests for kids?", I asked and the doctor nodded in no.

I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead.

"I completely understand what you are going through Kartik and I completely justify your urge for giving some time to take a decision. But I just want you to be quick, because if we delay things, the situation may go out of hand too", the doctor said and I nodded.

"Take care of Elsa and keep a closer look on her", the doctor said and I nodded again.

I stood up from my seat and walked out of his cabin.

I was completely shook and walked across the floor aimlessly to the private ward where Elsa was admitted. Yash and Kunal were playing with her and she was giggling.

I smiled and walked inside, sitting beside her on the bed.

"How are you feeling munchkin?", I asked Elsa caressing her hair.

"Gross", Elsa replied and I got worried.

"Gross! What feels gross?!", I asked her worried and all of them burst into fits of laughter.

"This maniac's messing with you Kartik....she's all well. She hasn't stopped giggling since the moment she woke up", Kunal said and I closed my eyes and sighed in relief.

"What did the doctor say daddy? What's wrong with me?", Elsa asked and I drew a deep breath.

I won't say her now...when things are confirmed, then I'll reveal it to her...

"Nothing....just you don't eat carrots no, that's why you're so weak. Now you're gonna eat carrots all the three times of the day", I fake scolded her and Elsa made a face.

"Eww Gross!! I hate carrots. I'm not gonna eat them at any cost, Yash Uncle please convince dad no!", Elsa whined and I kept staring at her.

"Hey kiddo....never call me uncle - first thing. Second, how can you hate carrots? You're this bunny teeth's daughter, you're supposed to love carrots", Yash teased me and I rolled my eyes.