Chapter 8 - Well Played

Naira's POV

I stood there confused and worried as ever. Everyone looked at me and started to murmur. I turned back and started to walk away that Amber held my wrist and dragged me to the girls' washroom. I just continued to be dragged remembering Kartik's hurt face. When we reached the door of the washroom, Amber turned towards me and looked at me.

"Whatever you did today is totally unforgivable and unacceptable", Amber said and I continued to look at her.

"You shouldn't have done that", Amber said and I looked at her confused.

"But I did just for fun. I mean just to teach him a lesson. I didn't know it will hurt him", I said and Amber nodded her head side to side in disbelief.

"You did hurt him. I've never seen him so quiet after someone meddles in his personal affairs. He always talks back but today he didn't utter a single word against you. I have seen his face, he looked hurt and disturbed. Kartik can tolerate any rumour about him with any chick, but he can't tolerate anything against Elsa", Amber said and I sat on the stool beside, looking at nothing in particular.

"You just knew one side of the story and created such a big mess. The truth is whatever you saw is completely wrong. I know Kartik is an asshole and irresponsible AF but in Elsa's case he's not. He loves her so much. He treats her like his daughter. We all have been thrown out by our parents and we work our ass off to pay our college fees. That guy has two people to feed and take care of - himself and Elsa. He would've sent Elsa to a foster home if he wanted to but he did not give up on her. He attends college, he studies, he works part time to give Elsa a decent life. He's a gem of an elder brother and you just insulted him like he's no one. You should'nt have raised Elsa's topic", Amber explained me and I sat on the stool, burying my face in my hands.

"I'm an asshole", I muttered in a muffled voice.

"Yes, you are", Amber replied and I looked up at her removing my hands from my face.

"I didn't know it will affect him so badly", I said and Amber sighed.

"Don't cry over spilled milk now. Delete the video before it reaches the higher authorities", Amber suggested and I nodded. I took out my phone and deleted the video from the website.

I looked at Amber.

"He won't forgive me ever even if I apologise to him. He shouldn't forgive me also, no mercy should be shown to me", I said and Amber looked at me.

The bell rang and all the students started running towards the classes.

"Come on now....its micro biology class. And in the meantime, think of methods to apologise to him", Amber said dragging me to the class.

Still Naira's PoV

"So class what do you mean by an Adjuvant? Anyone?(turns towards the class and looks at the students) No one!(sighs in disbelief)  Its the material added to an antigen to increase its immunogenicity, for example, alum", the professor blabbered something but I was just looking at Kartik. He was sitting in the row in front of me, towards the corner. 

He looked normal and quite rare to say, focused. His posture was straight, not like how he used to lean on the bench before. His eyes were focused on the blackboard and he was making notes. I've never seen him so serious before. Something's definitely wrong with him.

Just then, the principal's peon entered.

"Kartik Goenka...the principal wants you in his office", the peon said and the professor looked at Kartik. Kartik sat there, looking at his pen in deep thought. He mustn't have heard the peon.