Chapter 8

"... I thought you wanted me in the freak show?" I asked carefully, those black eyes watching me coldly as their smile remained wide.

        "Oh, I did, still do, however, your balance was superb and our last tight rope walker met a rather unfortunate end," Stars in the sky... Everything about you is making me want to run and I'm ninety percent sure you just threatened my life.

       "I've never really... Done that kinda thing-" Except aerial silks. Those are still in my room next to the metal hoop I quite liked to play with- "Are you sure the tight rope is where you want me?"

        "Indeed," Curling my lips in my mouth I licked them before pulling a close eyed gentle smile matched with a soft tilt of the head.

        "You're the boss." Seems I'll be drifting back to the docile demeanor for a while.

       "Of course, something as simple as tight rope walking wouldn't bring much attention..." That wide smile swiftly shifted to a grin as a shiver ran down my spine.

         "... I'm not sure if this was your idea or not," Came the relatively cold voice as I stretched causally. I'd rather not do it but it wasn't like I could just go and find a new place where people don't run away every time they see me or him. Didn't matter if the owner gave me the creeps. Being killed in my sleep would be better than dealing with the horrors in that forest.

         "Does it even matter? Join or don't, why are you even here?" I asked glancing back at him as he was up here when everyone was down there.

         "I was asked to participate as well," Both my brows rose as I looked from him to the small group collecting arrows.

       "Up here?" He nodded softly with a small shrug. "And you agreed?"

        "They said you were doing it too," So you didn't but the thought of me doing something you didn't had you agreeing because you're alpha and what is weakness? I see, I see.

        "That means two of us on one line dodging arrows at the same time..." I whistled looking down at the group twirling arrows and talking. I think I get why the previous person had that accident. "Fun, let's do it," I smirked with a shrug. I die or I don't. Literally couldn't care less at this point.

       "My balance is poor," He stated before going ahead of me as if that was something to bring up before going over a fifty foot drop. Okay. I mean, his balance isn't poor, it's actually really good, but mine is better making him immediately think his was shit because someone was better. He has issues.

     Sighing I shook my head and followed after him, more casual and less looking at my feet. My gaze at those notching their arrows. Boy... I really don't know if they're trying to kill us off or if they just want to see if we can actually do this. That pale face was watching us while he took his time and I moved fluently across it wondering when the first arrow was going to fly.

       I saw the glint of the metal as it soared right for the distracted devil who was far more focused on his footing than the threat of a projectile. With a soft sigh, I grabbed his hand, something he was not ready for, as it neared.

         Pulling my weight back and forcing his forward I earned his panic and evading not just his arrow but apparently mine as well. I seem to have been a little distracted as well. "What are you-" Twisting my weight on the rope I forced him to follow my lead.

        "You're going to get us killed!" He whisper yelled as he watched his feet, my eyes remaining on the arrows flying around us. Every slip he made, most of them being my fault, I adjusted and compensated, keeping a grip on him at all times. Whether it was his hand, forearm, or shoulder, I used my own weight and sense of balance to keep us stable.

         "Lilith!" He shouted while I winced, overcompensating and slipping, for once, he had the perfect footing and caught me, in a fancy dip at that. I couldn't help but pulling a distasteful face at how close he got but the cutting of wind found my ears and I was pushing his shoulder, actively forcing him off the fine line that kept us from falling to our death. "Why you-!"

         Snickering as I hooked his hand in mine, my body twisting around the rope as my feet remained arched keeping the both of us from falling. It wasn't overly pleasant but it was better than getting shot. A new predicament arriving as he was not going to be able to get back up I thought of a solution while swinging him away from a different arrow, shifting one of my feet back to avoid one myself.

        "I'm going to do a thing-"

      "Don't you fucking dare!"

       "You're not going to like it-"

       "I'm being serious!"

      "But, like, you'll be fine, probably,"

       "I'm going to kill you!" He growled while I just grinned, all th swinging giving me just enough momentum to get him up and me around. He wasn't a fan. Our feet very close while he pulled back, giving me enough not to fall. Not intentionally. He very likely wanted to actually kill me for making him do that.

        "It's not like it's the first time we've danced," I rolled my eyes pulling him along the line with some fine steps and a throw of my free arm.

        "This is hardly dancing!" He growled, following my lead much less reluctant as we neared the other side.

        "What are you talking about? This is the best kind of dancing!" I beamed with a laugh, twisting into a twirl that had his eyes widening at just how unfazed I was to be on a rope like this. He was even more surprise when I gave him a rough shove on the chest. Causing him to fall. Right on the platform. The face he made having me burst into a new fit of laughter.

        "You still think I'll just let you die? I thought we went over this," I smirked down at him, my feet finding the platform and my hand my pockets. "You're not dying until I tell you you can,"