𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 9

"I missed this," Darren announces as he takes a swig of his second beer. Apparently they give alcoholic drinks to minors in this place if you have the right connections. And as you can guess, Fayne and her friends have those connections.

"Missed what?" Caleb asked.

"You know...hanging out here again. It's been a while," he says.

Normally I wouldn't bat an eyelash at a statement like that but coming from Darren it has a sinister tone to it. Everything he says has an edge to it, as if he's talking in code which only Fayne and Caleb can understand.

"It has been a while," Fayne chimes in.

Callie and I have been quiet for a while and we both have just been exchanging looks while listening in on the conversation. I'm pretty sure we're both on the same wavelength, this situation is getting stranger by the minute.

"Fuck," Caleb abrubtly brings me out of my thoughts.

I look up and find nothing unusual apart from a group of four guys and two girls also wearing leather jackets. They seem like the kind of people which would hang out with Fayne but the reactions I see plastered on everyone's face tells me otherwise.

"We have to get out of here now!" Fayne whisper yells and pushes Caleb out of the seat. Him and Darren run towards the stairs at the back of the restaurant which I noticed when we first got here.

"What, why?" I finally speak up as I tug on Fayne's jacket to stop her from running for it.

"Come with us," She says and looks at me and Callie desperately, then grabs my arms and drags me along behind her. I look towards the five individuals who just came in and they are staring right at us, one of the guys has a scowl on his face directed right at Fayne.

"Who are they?" I ask her as she drags me along with her, Callie in tow.

"Not right now Brooke."

I let her guide me up the stairs. Normally I would have stayed and argued but I have a feeling that now is really not the time considering the reaction of my company. I don't know how I got here. I was supposed to have a quiet dinner out and yet I ended up here, in a secret upstairs speakeasy occupied by a scarce population of meth heads and Paris Hilton wannabes. We make our way through rows of private booths and a full occupied bar. I guess Darren and Caleb had the idea that if we hid among the crowd we'd be less likely to be spotted if the group followed us.

"So can anyone please explain what's going on?" I speak up as soon as we join the guys.

"Nothing is going on, we just don't like them," Darren hisses at me.

Except I know that the statement doesn't hold the whole truth.

"Nice try but you don't get scared shitless and run from people you just don't like. How stupid do you think I am? There's obviously something else going on here." I glare at Darren and look at Caleb for help. It's the first time I've looked Caleb head on and honestly he seems like a better person than the people he hangs out with. His eyes hold a soft and kind glow that can't be hidden with leather and this tough act he's trying to convey.

But instead of telling me what's going on, Caleb let's out a loud frustrated sigh and pinches the top of his nose. I look at Fayne and she's facing the other direction.

"Right, I see. If that's the way you're going to be then I'm getting out of here." I don't bother waiting for Callie, instead I storm off towards the stairs which are blocked by the group we were supposed to be running from.