𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 16

*Trigger Warning*

This chapter contains some dark themes including domestic violence and abuse, both physical and emotional. The perspective in this chapter blames herself which victims should never do. Victim blaming is not ok, this is just the mentality of my character at this moment. Please be cautious when reading. It gets better. 

Brooke's POV

I knew pushing my extremely constricting curfew was risky but I didn't anticipate to see my whole family sitting at the dining table, their heads turning as soon as I came through the door. Dad had the hardest glare, something I hadn't seen in a while. I hoped I would never see it again. Mum had a stern look plastered onto but behind it I could sense a hint of fear. She knew what was about to happen. I knew it too.

It was Jaden that I felt sorry for. Behind his overprotective big brother demeanor he had a deeply rooted trust, even for our parents. He always saw the best in people.

"I can explain," I begin.

"No need, the school rang." Of course it did. How did I not consider that? It was an in the moment sort of decision, I remind myself.

My father sighs. "You know I don't like punishing you but you must learn not to worry your mother and I."

He knew it was not intentional but it wouldn't make a difference, it never does. I look at my mother, a plump solemn woman with caramel coloured hair, if you look hard enough you can see wisps of grey hairs floating at the top of her hairline no doubt from the stress she endures. Her deep brown eyes hold so many secrets, most of which I will never know. A part of me despises her for marrying my father when she had so many better suitors. Back in the day she was extremely beautiful, loved by everyone and of course very popular with men. It's not that she isn't beautiful now, it's just that she's a shell of a person, never expressing her opinion. Her love for my father is her downfall. I wonder if she ever regrets marrying him. Even if she did, the words would never leave her lips.

"That wasn't my intention, I'm sorry," I say while staring at the floorboards beneath me.

"Do you think sorry magically fixes your wrongdoings?" My father yells causing Jaden to flinch. Not me.

"No."

"Get on the floor."

I get on my knees knowing exactly what comes next. While it hasn't come to it in a while, this routine punishment has been a part of my childhood and I was made to believe it was a necessary part of growing up. I don't know when I realised physical punishment was a form of abuse but I assume it happened over time instead of all at once. I know it's not normal but a part of me will always think I deserve it.

"Dad, she didn't mean it," Jaden tries to intervene. Don't you realise it's useless?

"Your sister has broken my rules countless times yet she never learns. She needs to be taught her worth when she disobeys. She is worthless without honour."

I knew that and so did Jaden. If he wasn't careful he would suffer the same fate, not that he ever had to suffer much. He has always been the favourite, our dad's favourite. His obedient son, a spitting image of him. But his attitude is nothing alike, doesn't he see that?

"I understand, it's ok Jaden," I say, my eyes silently begging him to let it go. He looks back at me, knowing exactly what I mean yet he shakes his head in disbelief.

"We're not kids, you don't need to treat us this way!" Jaden raises his voice.

Our father perks up, alarmed at the blatant disrespect. "What did you say to me boy?"