◤twenty six◢

"Mark Lee to the principal's office. Mark Lee to the principal's office please."

Mark can see the worried glance that Jaemin sends his way across the classroom, but he chooses to ignore it as he makes his way to the classroom door. He can also see Donghyuck trying to ignore his entire presence (as he should), when he walks by, but the younger gives himself away with how he's biting his lower lip and fidgeting with his pencil.

Maybe he feels endeared that Donghyuck is worrying about him, but the thought about why he's being called to the principal's office over shines his fluttering heart. If his heart would even flutter at something Donghyuck did. It probably didn't and Mark is just gonna have a heart attack soon. Maybe. Who knows, to be honest.

He likes Jaemin anyways. Sure, he has to get over Jaemin, but as per now, in present time, he's head over heels for Jaemin. Jaemin, who reminds him of himself. Who's familiar and pink, who grew up the way he did. Jaemin experienced the same things Mark had, and he's just is so easy to like. So friendly, so nice, so sweet and so, so pretty. Anyone would be a fool to not fall for Na Jaemin.

Why would Mark fall for Donghyuck anyway? Donghyuck was boisterous in his own way, different and twisted. Mark doesn't like change, which is all Donghyuck is. A change from what he knows, a change from what he's experienced. Mark can't even begin to fathom half of what Donghyuck had been through, and he'd rather keep it that way.

He's ripped out of his thoughts when his eyes make contact with the main office's door, and he finds himself twisting the knob open and letting himself in. It's smells horribly of sterile and everything else Mark hates, and he just wants to get whatever this is over with so he could leave.

"Hey, excuse me, um," Mark starts, making his way to the secretary. "I was called here? I'm Mark Lee."

The secretary types a few things on her computer before she gets up and asks Mark to follow her.

"Mr. Seo," she calls, knocking on the door once.

Mark feels his blood run cold at the prospect of facing Donghyuck's dad. He doesn't know why it terrifies him so much, probably because he knows he did something wrong. Maybe he's scared of Donghyuck's dad knowing what he did and doing something about it.

Whatever it is, Mark urges himself to push the feeling down deep as he walks into the principal's personal office.

Youngho stays facing the window, looking at the small garden of flowers which litter the front of their school. Everyday, Mark notices that there's a specific patch of the garden which is always empty. He never thought much of it, not until right now, that is, when he sees flowers, and roots, in all their glory on the principal's desk. Mark can't help but think that Donghyuck has something to do with that.

"Sit," Youngho says curtly, and Mark, completely terrified of what this meeting could entail, sits his ass down on the chair quicker than he can say his own name. "You know who I am."

Mark nods, like a stupid bitch he realizes, since Youngho can't see him. His back is still turned, and Mark finds himself stuttering out his words instead.

"P-Principal," he answers, acting like a whole fool if he was being honest. He's tremendously embarrassed at this moment, and if Youngho already hates him because of Donghyuck, then Youngho's sure to laugh at him because of his stupidity now.

"Donghyuck's father," Youngho corrects, finally turning around the stare at the boy. "Jeno's stepfather." Mark nods dumbly, and God, he couldn't be making a bigger fool out of himself even if he tried. "The principal of this school."

"Yeah," Mark agrees, clearing his throat and sitting up a bit straighter. He thinks it's weird how scared he is of what Youngho could say, about what Youngho could do. He normally doesn't bat an eye at the fact that Youngho is the principal of this school, he only sees him as Donghyuck's dad. But he guesses that now, in the compromising position that he's in, he understands that if anything were the happen, it'd directly affect Donghyuck, Jaemin, and most probably (through Jaemin), Jeno.

"And I'm pretty sure you know what you did," Youngho continues, sitting down in his chair, maintaining eye contact with Mark. Mark doesn't know if this is allowed, if Youngho is allowed to, basically, interrogate him about his personal affairs and friends during school hours. But he guesses there's an exception somewhere when they're talking about his son. "And all I wanna know is, well, why'd you do it?"

Mark, who's been acting like an idiot this entire interaction, doesn't get any better, even after hearing Youngho's words. Even if he should, even if Youngho's words should be a reality check. But Mark, who's thoughts are insanely muddled, can only find himself saying one thing.

"It's because of you, you know."

Mark almost immediately regrets what he said, afraid that he's crossed a very important line. Afraid that Youngho is going to use his authority and power against him. He shouldn't be giving his two cents on Youngho's personal matters, especially when it was a sensitive topic. But he can't keep himself from saying the truth, not when Youngho had asked.

"Excuse me?" The elder asks, seeming somewhat intrigued by what Mark has to say. He doesn't let it show too much though, keeping his distance and guard up.

"Not to cross any boundaries sir," Mark starts, graining a little bit of confidence since he knows that what he's saying is correct. "But Donghyuck seemed to have been... Extremely happy before you got remarried. Of course, I don't really know exactly what happened, but sir, don't you think you messed up there? Getting a divorce from your husband—" Mark ignores the way Youngho sucks in a sharp breath. "And then forcing Donghyuck into a stepbrother relationship with his ex boyfriend? I'm sure you knew that Donghyuck was in love with Jeno, at the time you got remarried."

Mark can't make eye contact with Youngho once he's done talking, afraid he's bitten off more than he could chew.

"Don't you think I already know all of that?" Youngho spits, seeming to be acting overly emotional around a student. Mark knows why, and thinks that if it were anyone else besides him in this position, there would've been a problem. "I can't change the past, Mark. What's done is done. I'm divorced and remarried, with a stepson and wife."

Mark nods, looking down to pick at his cuticles as he feels shy about what he's going to say next.

"I know that too sir," he insists, mumbling the next part. "But don't you think you took everything away too quickly? His dad, his family. Even you've changed since the divorce."

"You know nothing, Mark." Youngho says coldly.

Mark knows that this isn't his place, but no one else seems to be telling Youngho what he needs to hear. Donghyuck barely likes talking to his father anymore, and Jeno surely wouldn't cross his stepfather in such a way. Mark however, he doesn't have much to lose. And that alone, is motivation enough to continue speaking to Youngho.

"Donghyuck just wants his family back. I don't know exactly what that means, sir, but Jeno and his mother aren't his family. It's you and Mr. Moon."

"How do you know everything?" Youngho asks, seeming to be referring to Mark knowing Taeil was his ex husband, and seeming extremely exasperated.

Mark simply shrugs, a small smile on his lips as he makes his way to get up, previous fear nowhere to be found.

"I'm not blaming you for the way Donghyuck's been feeling. But I won't lie to you either. You and I. You and I are the reason why Donghyuck's so upset right now. His issues root from you and the only thing I've done is worsen them. I'm sorry sir, but I don't think I can fix this either."

Mark sucks in a breath, looking at Youngho with sincere sorry eyes.

"Donghyuck hates me."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Don't you hate him for that Hyuck?"

"No, you stupid math teacher," Donghyuck laughs wetly, wiping away at his tears as Taeil watches sadly.

"I could never hate Mark Lee."