◤forty◢

"Okay, what's our game plan?"

"We were supposed to think of one...?"

"Hyung," Donghyuck groans, pausing the task he was doing. His lipgloss wand stays dangling between his fingers, and he would rub his eyes in frustration if it didn't mean ruining his smokey eye. "Are you going to let Na Jaemin rot? He's going insane."

Mark winces at Donghyuck's choice of words, but can't bring himself to berate the younger. He isn't wrong, after all.

"You're acting like I enjoy seeing Jaemin's sullen face. I don't know what to do to make him feel better; we've tried everything. He only wants Jeno." Mark sighs defeatedly, standing behind Donghyuck as the latter finishes up his makeup. "At least you're beautiful, fuck." He groans, unable to take his eyes off of Donghyuck's face.

"Flattery won't get you out of this one, baby," Donghyuck sing songs, putting his fan brush down and standing up. He relishes in the way Mark's eyes are entranced by him, his ego inflates, and he smirks to himself. "Like what you see?" He teases, head tilting off to one side.

"Always." Comes the older boy's easy reply, truth slipping out without a second thought. He sounds smug.

"You live up to your label, huh?" The younger tsks, keeping his amused eyes trained on Mark's face.

"I don't disappoint." Mark winks.

"Hm... What you make up for in charms, you lack in here." Donghyuck taps the side of his head. "Think of a way to get Na Jaemin to smile. I'm going to go make Lee Jeno cry now."

"Sunshine," Mark sighs, sticking one arm out and catching Donghyuck's waist as he tries to walk out the room. "Are you sure that's the best way to get him to talk?"

"You remember what Nana said, don't you? Jeno's been alone for a really long time and never let himself feel. As his stepbrother, I'll try to help him feel a bit. He doesn't have to be alone anymore. And crying will probably help him let it out anyways." He explains.

"Thought you hated him," Mark mumbles, thoroughly impressed by Donghyuck's maturity. He just didn't wanna say it out loud and enlarge Donghyuck's already massive ego.

"Still my stepbrother," Donghyuck shrugs.

Mark deems him a bit too loving, before letting his arm fall and wishing him good luck.

"Thanks. I'll need it."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Get out of my room."

"This used to be my room, shut the fuck up," Donghyuck sighs, inviting himself inside the room, dark because Jeno keeps the lights off. He sits down on the bed, near the lump under the blankets which is clearly Jeno. "How are you feeling?"

"Shut up."

"So disrespectful, how did Jaemin even deal with you," the younger boy tsks distastefully, clicking his tongue for effect right after.

"Rich coming from you," Jeno spits back, blatantly disregarding the second part of the statement. "You're the most disrespectful person I know."

"What's on your mind?" Donghyuck asks instead, changing the topic. Jeno isn't looking at him, so he takes matters into his own hands as he crawls under the covers, until he's face to face with Jeno, who really needs to shave and brush his teeth. "You look disgusting."

"Well now we know what's on your mind," Jeno snorts, unimpressed as he wrinkles his nose at their proximity. "I haven't seen your face up this close since we were like. Fourteen. Get away from me."

"Ugh, I bet you wish I was Jaemin, don't you? You sick freak."

"What the fuck—"

"Oh, sensitive spot?" Donghyuck mocks, rolling his eyes. "You are ridiculous. Why the hell did you break up with Jaemin?"

"None of your business." Jeno bites back.

"Your life is so pathetic Jeno, oh my God," Donghyuck groans, starting to get frustrated. "Why did you cut off the only thing that made you happy? Jaemin did wonders for your lowly life."

"Are you here to insult me or make me feel better? Forgive me for not being able to tell," Jeno scoffs, burrowing himself away deeper in his sheets. "Just leave already, Donghyuck."

"I'm here to make sure you're not alone in this. I'm here to hold your hand if it gets too hard. To ask you why you broke up with Jaemin."

"I'm not talking about him," Jeno says, finality in his tone.

"Talking will make you feel better," Donghyuck insists.

"Yeah, because you do that," the older boy says sarcastically, closing his eyes so that he doesn't have to look at Donghyuck anymore.

"Since I found someone I could trust, yeah," Donghyuck answers, slowly growing more and more frustrated. He doesn't want his frustration to ruin his initial goal: he wanted Jeno to feel comfortable. Near the way he felt when he was around Jaemin, comfortable enough to tell him anything. Or something close to that at the very least: he wants Jeno to talk. "You can trust me Jeno."

Jeno doesn't argue, and Donghyuck guesses it's because deep down, Jeno knows it's the truth. Deep down, Donghyuck also knows he could trust Jeno.

It's extremely quiet, and Donghyuck really thinks Jeno fell asleep. That is until, he starts speaking.

"I'm not good enough for him." He simply mumbles. Donghyuck has to strain his ears a bit to hear him, but he does in the end.

"Didn't you already know this?" He asks honestly, unable to stop himself before the words leave his mouth. "Nana is too good for this world."

"Yeah." Jeno winces. "I guess I just finally came down from whatever high horse I was on and let him go." He further explains.

Donghyuck almost doesn't see the issue, besides heartbreak on both ends, but then he remembers what Jaemin has said when he snapped the other day.

Jeno may think that he doesn't deserve Jaemin, but the person to make that verdict, Jaemin, said with his whole chest that Jeno deserves the world. And maybe Donghyuck doesn't see it, but it's not his place to give his opinion, he's just supposed to get them back together. All he can do is relay information since Jaemin and Jeno don't talk.

"Jaemin says you deserve the world. He loves you a lot, you know?"

"He shouldn't." Jeno says blankly. "He should find someone of his status."

Donghyuck internally sighs.

"You love him still, don't you? Actually, don't answer that, I know you do. You wouldn't let yourself love someone else, I know you."

Jeno doesn't answer, so Donghyuck knows he's right. He's also always right anyways, so he doesn't really need Jeno's confirmation.

"I just hope you know it isn't your choice if Jaemin loves you or not, or who he settles with, his status or not.

"But... Since he's in love with you, be a man Lee Jeno. Take care of his heart, not break his heart."