c h a p t e r f o u r .

SLAM!

Winter jolted awake to the sound of the hotel room door slamming closed. Bleary eyed, she rolled over and checked the time. 6:13AM. She could vaguely hear the rhythmic stomping of Nolan pacing back and forth outside of the bedroom door, which led her to assume that he was out all night. Whenever he was angry, he had the tendency to get obscenely drunk. Winter groaned under her breath. She was aware of the fact she would have to face him at some point and talk about the unsuccessful investment opportunity, but at 6AM? Reluctantly, Winter got to her feet with plans of convincing Nolan to get some rest - to sleep off some of his drunken anger.

But Nolan had no intentions of waiting. At that moment, the door to the bedroom swung open violently. His finger was pointed at Winter as he advanced towards her and his lips were curled into a snarl.

"You-you...BITCH!" Nolan pressed his finger into Winter's chest, sending her stumbling backwards with the unexpected force, "You thought I wouldn't find out?"

Winter brushed his hand off of her, perplexed. "Nolan, I don't know what you're talking about. You're drunk. You need to lie down."

He let out a disgusted laugh, "I'm not drunk, Winnie. Maybe hours ago, sure, but I'm sober and thinking clearly enough to be rightfully pissed off at you!" Nolan shoved his hand into his pocket, fumbling around for his phone. He unlocked it and opened up a picture, then flipped it around so Winter could see.

She gingerly took the phone from his hands and examined the article and picture that Nolan had found. Her breath caught in her throat. There, on the phone screen, was a photo of herself and Joe Jonas seated together in the Coffee Cabana. Her eyes drifted to the body of text beneath the image.

JOE JONAS SPOTTED WITH MYSTERY GIRL AT CAFE IN SOHO

With their recent reunion of the band, the Jonas Brothers are making the news every week with tour dates, hit singles, and hot new looks. Around noon on Tuesday, Joe was seen chatting and flirting with an unknown girl inside of trendy Coffee Cabana. Sources say the encounter did not appear to be business related. Who could the mystery girl be? Fan turned friend? Possible fling? We can't wait to find out.

At the bottom of the article was another image which featured Joe standing outside the coffee shop, looking at Winter waving through the window.

Slowly, Winter handed Nolan his phone and raised her eyes to meet his. She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing would come out. Some time passed before she finally managed to make some sense of the the jumble of thoughts that were floating around in her brain. "I had planned on telling you last night," was all that she managed to whisper.

Nolan clenched his jaw, "So that's all you have to say for yourself?"

"No, Nolan, it's a...strange story..." Winter explained the entire situation from beginning to end. About the slip up and phone swap. About the coffee stains. About how the phone calls and texts distracted her and messed up the meeting. About the meet up. "And I was going to tell you at dinner last night but you stormed off. I was hurt, Nolan, and then it just slipped my mind. I came back to the hotel and slept," she blinked at him despairingly, "it was never meant to be a secret. Just...so much else happened yesterday that I never got the chance to tell you."

The tension in the air seemed to crackle like lightning. There was no denying the anger that radiated off of Nolan as he clenched and unclenched his fists by his side. In a swift motion, he raised his hand and brought it down across Winter's cheek.

SLAP!

"You ungrateful whore. How do you think the world is going to perceive you now? In a committed relationship with a boyfriend who would give you the world, and you run off and meet up with another man without consent? I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE." Nolan spat the venom-laced words.