c h a p t e r s i x .

For several moments, Winter found herself stunned, unable to speak or move. A mixture of shock, fear, and anger coursed through every inch of her body and tingled like a surge of electricity with every breath. She was transfixed by his paralyzing green gaze, teeming with unadulterated rage. His signature smirk had been replaced with an expression that was sinister in nature and, with a snake-like speed, Nolan lashed out and pulled Winter into the privacy of the hallway.

"Who the hell do you think you are, Winter Clayton? I'll tell you who you are - a gold-digging, lying bitch. You couldn't handle the truth this morning, so what did you do? Run off into the arms of another man with money to try and cheat your way to the top." Nolan seethed in a tone scarcely louder than a whisper. He jammed his hands into his pockets as he paced in front of her, lost in thought. "You're coming with me."

"Nolan - " she interjected "all of my things are inside. Can I go grab them?"

"We will buy you more things. Leave it and let's go. I can't trust you." Nolan latched onto her wrist and began to turn to leave with Winter in tow.

"Everything alright out here?"

Relief flooded over Winter at the sound of Joe's voice joining the conversation. She cast him a knowing look, hoping that he would pick up on the subtle pleading beneath her exterior. Without words, Joe advanced towards them and placed himself between Winter and Nolan. At this nonverbal cue, Nolan dropped her wrist in an effort to do some damage control, but to her surprise, he thrust his hand forward to shake Joe's.

"Nolan Rockefeller, CEO of Rockefeller Enterprises. You must be Joe. Winter told me all about the phone fiasco! It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm sure Winnie has already mentioned this, but she was quite the fan of yours back in the day."

The cheery disposition was like a switch he could turn on and off. Nolan's charisma was a winning trait, but at this particular time, it was problematic at best. Would Joe be as susceptible to his natural charm?

"I'm not sure that Winter wants to go with you."

Nolan scoffed. "Winnie, what have you been telling this man? We are meeting my parents for brunch, or have plans changed? I'm sorry, Joe, but we really do have somewhere to be."

Nolan once again reached out to grab Winter, but this time, Joe put his arm out protectively in front of her. "I'll say it again, I don't think she wants to go with you." There was a challenging tone to his voice. "You need to leave, Nolan."

Nolan understood he was outnumbered. He straightened out his jacket in an effort to salvage his dignity. "This isn't over, Winter. You might have won this battle, but I'll win the war."

Joe and Winter stood in silence while Nolan sped away from them. When the elevator doors closed and he was gone, Winter rubbed one arm before turning to face Joe.

"Thanks for having my back. And for believing me."

"Friends look out for each other."

His response was nonchalant. It was simple. But Winter couldn't help but bask in the warmth she felt from that nonchalant, simple phrase.

Friends, she thought, Joe Jonas called me a friend.

-------------------------

So, it turns out that being a celebrity is much more boring than one would expect. Without any scheduled interviews, public appearances, performances, or rehearsals, Joe was able to spend his day however he pleased. Winter was thankful for this change of pace in his regular busy schedule as it gave her an escape from reality for the day. Before she realized it, the morning had come and gone and the sun was cruising into the mid afternoon sky. Movie credits were rolling on the television screen from the film they had just finished watching.