c h a p t e r t w e l v e .

A kiss.

It still didn't feel real.

She had kissed Joe Jonas. Well, to be specific, he had kissed her but that made little difference to her. It still blew her mind. Years ago, she would fantasize about that exact moment, but she never believed it would happen to her, of all people. She remembered what her sister always said : that New York was like a parallel universe. At this point, Winter was beginning to think that perhaps there was some validity to her sister's banter. It's not everyday that a celebrity literally knocks you off your feet on a sidewalk and then proceeds to figuratively sweep your off your feet just days later. A lucky coincidence changed her life.

It was the next morning and Winter remained wrapped up in the luxurious white comforter in the guest bedroom. For the first time in days, she slept through the night without waking up. Her dreams were filled with memories replaying her romantic encounter with Joe, and that was a welcomed thought. Today, there was no early morning rehearsal, no busy schedule, and no one to worry about. The combination of these reasons gave her even more encouragement to enjoy the simplicity of a quiet morning while watching the sun rise over the city skyline. The view from Joe's high-rise penthouse windows never disappointed. Before she even knew it, she drifted back to sleep.

- BUZZ BUZZ -

The vibration of her phone under the pillow caused her to stir. Her arms and hands were clumsy with sleep, but she grabbed her phone to check the time.

10am.

Winter opened her mouth in a wide yawn while she unlocked her phone to check her texts. A groan escaped her parted lips while clearing out the multitude of social media and text notifications that had piled up while she slept. One text in particular made her do a double take. It was from her sister.

Rowan : WINTER.

Rowan : Sis, I just saw a pic of you and Joe on Twitter. Sending you the link. Explain!!!

Rowan : Call me when you get up!

Winter sat up straight, suddenly feeling very wide awake after reading the texts. She clicked on the link and it opened up to another celebrity gossip blog.

JOE JONAS OFF THE MARKET?

Joe Jonas was seen entering a recording studio in Manhattan accompanied by a blonde girl. Our sources have confirmed that this is the same mystery girl that Joe was spotted with at Coffee Cabana just days ago. Seems like the cold weather has even the swoon-worthy middle Jonas in the mood for a Christmas cutie...or maybe just a holiday hookup. Will we lose the final single Jonas to cuffing season? Make sure to subscribe to find out!

The urge to roll her eyes was out of this world. Joe was right - these tabloids were toxic and they turned everything into a story to draw in readers. With an exasperated sigh, she tossed her phone onto the foot of the bed and swung her legs onto the floor. There was a small nagging at her heart that made her the slightest bit anxious. She and Joe had ended the previous night on a good note, but the kiss they shared screamed that things were going to be different. Knowing that she couldn't avoid life forever, Winter got up.

Time to face the music.

The hallway was silent. There was a relaxing calmness in the air as she tiptoed to the kitchen, not even wanting her footsteps to break the peaceful silence that filled the penthouse. Joe must still be sleeping, she mused. But that notion was put out of mind when she noticed a surprise sitting on the table.

A huge display of red roses sat in an elegant black vase. Winter gasped at the sight. The bouquet was marvelous in size - there must have been at least five dozen roses packed into the arrangement. The sweet scent of the flowers filled the kitchen and dining room and she drew in a deep breath to allow the scent to wash over her. A white card peeked out amongst the sea of red petals. It read :