c h a p t e r f i v e .

The sound of the door clicking as it closed seemed to reverberate in the penthouse. A heavy silence was hanging in the air. Beside her, Winter could feel the intensity of Joe's darkened gaze as he patiently awaited a response that she had yet to formulate. This was something that even Winter herself hadn't processed. A knot formed in the pit of her stomach and she instinctively raised her hand to her mouth to nervously bite at her fingernail - a habit that only presented itself whenever she felt most vulnerable. Her fingertip grazed the plump shape of her swollen lip.

Joe shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "Winter?"

At the mention of her name, Winter snapped her head up. "Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Thank you, Joe, for agreeing to meet with me on such short notice." She plastered on a facade of pleasantness and mentally pushed Nolan and the fight out of her mind.

Confused but realizing that it would be unwise to push the subject more, Joe nodded and gestured towards the opening at the end of the hall. "Please, come in and make yourself comfortable!" He started towards the living room, "Would you like anything to drink? Water, coffee, a mimosa?"

"I'm fine, thanks."

Floor to ceiling windows lined one wall of his modern living room, giving the room a natural glow. Shades of neutral tones created an inviting and comforting feel and almost immediately, Winter could feel herself release the breath she didn't even realize she had been holding. The furniture was plush. She wasted no time and sat down on the couch, allowing herself to relax in the moment. Joe took a seat in a chair across from her and leaned forward with his arms resting on his legs. A streak of golden light streamed in from the window, illuminating his features.

Wow, Winter thought to herself, his face was literally hand-carved by God. It shouldn't be legal to be that attractive. How am I supposed to concentrate while I'm sitting in the presence of my actual childhood celebrity crush?! Just...treat it like a business transaction.

"It's just another day in the life for you, right?" She started. "The news articles. The...rumors."

"That's the best way to put it. These buzzards - " Joe tossed his hand flippantly, " - they make stories where there aren't stories. Anyone can take a picture of us, but it's the story that goes along with it that brings the readers in." Winter could tell that she had struck a chord with him. He rose to his feet exasperatedly, pacing over to the window that peered out many floors above the city streets. "They'll take a picture of you walking a dog and turn it into a quiz on Buzzfeed. 'This dog breed quiz will tell you which Jonas Brother you're most compatible with' or some crazy bullshit." Joe laughed to himself softly. "It used to bother me. The fact they would exploit celebrities for their own financial gain. But I've gotten used to it over the years. I like to think that most fans...most people in the world know a credible source when they see one." He walked back over and sat down once more. "To be honest, I don't even bother looking into any articles about myself anymore. Just another part of the territory, you know."

Winter felt the corner of her mouth curl up in a half smile. She couldn't envision a life without privacy. Despite the fame and fortune, she could see how isolating and detached it must feel at times to be a celebrity. Living a life fueled by rumors and behind camera lenses.

"Don't do that."

"Huh?" Winter creased her forehead in confusion. "Don't do what?"

"Don't give me a pity smile. I've seen them before and that's exactly what you were doing." Joe met her gaze evenly.

Winter suppressed a giggle. "Ok, ok, you caught me. But it was fleeting, I promise. I sympathize with you over the lack of privacy, but it's kinda hard to pity those who have more than they could ever dream of."