c h a p t e r s e v e n .

The sun peeked out above the city skyline and flooded the streets and buildings with warm, inviting light. A very sleepy Winter aroused, attempting to peer through the hair plastered to her face. There was an extended pause while she gathered her thoughts and started to make sense of her surroundings. Her head ached and out of instinct, she massaged her forehead. Ugh, a hangover. The memory of the previous night's events rushed back to her and Winter sat up in alarm as she recalled exactly where she had fallen asleep. She had spent the night curled up in a recliner in the living room of Joe Jonas.

Face down on the couch across from her was the sleeping form of Joe. The slight rising and falling of his chest signified that he was still fast asleep. Probably for the best. With a groan, Winter forced herself to her feet, snagging her bag before searching around the penthouse for a place to shower. Was this an invasion of privacy? As her head throbbed again, she realized that was a problem for later and right now, she needed a bathroom and some pain reliever. It only took her going through two rooms before she found what appeared to be the guest bathroom. She breathed a sigh of relief as the door locked behind her, eager to wash off the emotions that felt etched into her skin.

The steam from the shower soothed her headache and awakened her senses. Once she was finished, she toweled herself off and picked through her bag to find an outfit for the day, settling on a pair of ripped jeans and an oversized black hoodie. Winter leaned against the counter and wiped away the fog from the mirror. She was pleased to find that her busted lip was much less noticeable. Winter brushed her teeth and dried her hair, feeling more human than she had felt in the last 48 hours. The next step for the morning was breakfast, but to her dismay, she discovered that Joe was still asleep in the same position.

This could be a good thing? I could make him breakfast to thank him for his hospitality. Besides, there's nothing like greasy food and coffee to help with a hangover. I just hope that Joe has good taste in food.

Sure enough, Winter found that his fridge contained plenty of good options for a big breakfast. She opted to make a simple but classic meal - bacon, sausage, eggs, toast, and a few pancakes topped with whipped cream and strawberries. The savory aroma made her mouth water as she made two place settings at the bar in the kitchen. In the midst of her cooking, Winter had also found the medicine cabinet and set out a bottle of ibuprofen beside Joe's plate. The sound of shuffling footsteps entered the kitchen. Winter had to bite back a giggle at the sight of the disheveled man in front of her.

"Good morning!"

"You made food?" Bleary eyed, he made his way around the counter and took a seat, rather clumsily.

"I hope I didn't overstep. It's just my way of saying thanks. Besides," Winter took a bite out of one of her pancakes, "I figured that a nice hot meal would help out, especially if you feel like I did when I first got up."

With a grateful expression, Joe popped a few ibuprofens before digging in. "Ugh, it's so good." He rolled his eyes in pure ecstasy. "I haven't had food like this in ages."

"Happy to be of service." Winter laughed and gave a flourishing bow. For the remainder of the meal, it was mostly silent as they happily filled their queasy stomachs with comfort food.

Joe was the first to break the silence. "So, I haven't forgotten my end of the deal." A black credit card was placed on the counter and he pushed it in front of Winter. "Get the plane ticket."

Though she wanted with every fiber of her being to refuse the gesture, she accepted, giving him a small nod. Within minutes, the ticket was booked for her return flight on December 28.

"There's something else." Joe added. His energy was more hesitant. "You have no place to stay and I have a guest bedroom. Unless you had already made other plans or something." He rubbed the back of his neck.