c h a p t e r s e v e n t e e n .

A shift in the cushions of the sofa stirred Winter from her deep sleep and she rolled over out of instinct in an attempt to fall back into a slumber. In her dream like daze, she could feel Joe kiss the top of her head. Her eyes fluttered open and she peered through her lashes at the well lit room. They had slept through the night in the living room and her body was sore from the awkward positions she rested in while she was curled up against Joe. Then, it dawned on her. Winter sat upright, all signs of exhaustion evaporated.

"It's Christmas!" She squealed in delight.

Stubble shadowed Joe's jaw and made his face appear more chiseled than usual. While his hair was normally styled, the shaggy dark locks were now wavy and unruly. Even his eyes were puffy and red. Sleeping on the couch didn't fare well for him, she assumed. "Merry Christmas, Winter." But despite his tired features, his voice was spirited. "I've been waiting for you to wake up!"

Winter nudged his shoulder. "You should have woken me up!"

"You looked so peaceful that I didn't want to disturb you. But now that you're awake, open your gift!"

"Already?" She said through a wide mouthed yawn. "I haven't even brushed my teeth yet."

With a dramatic sigh, Joe let his shoulders sag as he made a silly face. "Okay fiiiine. Go get yourself ready but make it quick."

"Geez, okay, I'll hurry!" Winter laughed at Joe's eagerness before rushing to the bathroom. She combed through her hair, adding a spritz of dry shampoo to provide a little volume and freshen it up. It would be a low key day hanging around the penthouse, so she opted to change into a pair of ripped black jeans and a fluffy pullover. Every few minutes, she could hear Joe ask from the living room 'how much longer?' and so with haste, she brushed her teeth and put on some mascara and eyeliner before rejoining the impatient Jonas Brother.

"Present time?" The words left his mouth as soon as Winter crossed back into the living room. Joe was acting weird. Weirder than usual. He was flighty and scatterbrained and spastic. Maybe he was in the Christmas spirit after all.

It was impossible to resist his boyish charm while he paced around, excitement radiating off of him like electricity. Winter caved with a genuine laugh. "Okay, okay. Present time!"

She made herself comfortable on the ledge of the fireplace while Joe reached as far as he could beneath the Christmas tree to pull out a long, narrow box. It was wrapped in a gold glitter paper and decorated with curling ribbon in shades of silver, white, gold - the same colors they had chosen for the tree ornaments. The box was pretty enough that Winter had a hard time unwrapping the parcel. Joe rubbed his hands against his legs, his anticipation getting the best of him. She removed the lid to find...a piece of paper? Curiosity pricked her mind.

It was a little poem.

A clue.

"Merry Christmas, Winter
I have a game for you.
To find every gift,
You must follow each clue.
When we swapped our phones
This is where you met me
And we got to know each other
Thanks to a cup of coffee."

With round eyes, Winter jerked her gaze up to meet Joe's who seemed like he was ready to burst with excitement. "Roscoe is waiting for you downstairs. Tell him where to take you."

"You're not coming?"

Joe shook his head. "This is your adventure. You'll understand."

No one had ever done a scavenger hunt for her before. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach over the mere fact of how much effort this took. One thing was certain - Joe never lacked in expressing his emotion, even when it came to gifts. He beamed at her, his entire expression glowing with hopeful anticipation over her reaction. Winter grinned from ear to ear. "Joe, this is amazing!"