Chapter 4: I Hate Socializing

The day goes by quickly, and I am able to accomplish all of my tasks even though I was late starting them. Halle invites me over for wine and a movie this Friday, and I accept. I'll have to make sure Jeremiah knows to stay home with Audrey that night.

I can't stop thinking about the way Christopher spoke to me in the break room. Was I just imagining that? I shake my head in an attempt to empty the adulterous thoughts from my mind. As I'm gathering my things to leave for the day, I hear a knock at my door.

"Can I speak with you for a sec?" Christopher Peters asks, his hazel eyes full of concern. I nod politely, and continue to gather my things as he enters my office.

"I just want to apologize for my behavior in the break room," he starts, but I cut him off.

"No really it's okay. I don't think there was a line crossed or anything, and I won't press any harassment charges," I say, clearly embarrassed.

Christopher's lips twitch as he tries to hide a smile.

"I was speaking of when I asked about your marriage. That was over the line and I'm sorry. It won't happen again," he assures me, and my face heats up yet again. I don't think I've ever blushed this much in my entire life. He continues to smirk at me, his hazel-green eyes never leaving my face, as I search for my keys in my purse.

"Not a problem," I finally say when I locate them shoved underneath a pack of gum. My keys jingle in my hand as I stride towards the door, desperate to get out of here before I say something stupid again.

Christopher side steps for me, and my arm brushes his as I pass him by.

I'm sure I'm only imagining the electric shock of energy that jolts down my arm while doing so.

I'm nearly two feet away from the elevators when my bag falls from my shoulder, and all of my belongings tumble out onto the floor. Groaning aloud, I crouch down as lady-like as I possibly can to scoop up my materials.

A hand appears, handing me my driver's license as I stand up.

I take my ID from Christopher's hand, and smile in an attempt at showing some gratitude. I'm sure I look like a five-year-old being forced to take pictures, but he smiles back, showing his perfectly white teeth.

"Tomorrow then, Harrison," Christopher calls to me as I step onto the elevator.

I never told him my name. I never even introduced myself.

Of course he caught my name when he picked up my ID card. I mentally kick myself for not being professional, and try to come up with some sort of witty response.

"Peters," is all I say. Christopher gives me one last chuckle before the elevator doors close.

***

"I thought I asked you to grab diapers on your way home?" I sigh, exasperated, as I lift Audrey from her changing table and place her in her Pack 'n Play. I smile at her and she scoots from her tummy to sit up, blowing raspberries and waving her arms erratically in the air. I just used the last diaper and now I need to go to the store to get more.

Jeremiah glances at me, but returns to his video game, the lights on his headset changing from blue to purple, and back to blue again.

"I'm sorry babe. I forgot," he apologizes. I can hear the violent clicks of his controller, the vibrating sounds growing louder and louder in my ears as I stand behind the sofa with my arms crossed, staring at the back of his neck. He makes no initiative to get up from the couch, let alone go to the store. Sighing aloud I stomp towards the front door, grabbing my purse and keys from the hook on the wall before opening it and slamming it shut behind me.

I know I'm acting childish, but this isn't the first time Jeremiah has forgotten something I've asked him to get. It could be something as little as pain reliever or dish soap, but the request is lost on him as soon as I say  it. He tries. Lord how he tries, and I can tell he wants to be a good father by the way he is with Audrey. He just really needs to work on being more responsible.

I start my car, and the familiar low purr of the engine sounds as I back out of our circle driveway. I begin my trek into the dark of the night towards my destination, distress taking ahold of my thoughts from the very long day I've had.