Chapter 9: Are You Drunk?

Vanessa Harrison stands before me, her full, pink lips slightly parted, the confused expression on her face creating a crease between her eyebrows as she realizes that it's me who is standing in front of her.

Her attire should be illegal; at least on that body of hers. The curve of her hips is prominent through the thin, black material that hugs her legs. Her top is barely a top at all, the black, lacy fabric taut against the arc of her breasts, which are practically spilling out; her narrow midsection peeking out from beneath the light-weight blazer she's casually tossed on.

Because I'm a gentleman — and because she's married — I force myself not to rake my eyes up and down her full figure.

"Wh — what are you doing here?" she stammers. Her pink drink sloshes a little in her glass before splattering against the hard concrete.

I nod towards a group of guys sitting in the V.I.P section near the front of the room.

"I'm here with some friends. What are you doing here?" I ask her, as I place three empty glasses on the bar next to me and signal the bartender for another round. Her head turns to where I've pointed, and she takes a couple of short steps toward me, in an attempt at hearing me better over the loud, booming music, I'm sure. She tucks a lock of her wavy, dark brown hair behind her ear before answering.

"I'm here with Halle. We're having a girl's night," she states matter-of-factly, her nose turning up slightly.

I chuckle, more to myself than at her. I saw how successful their meeting went with the client from Phoenix earlier today, and I'm sure that would warrant a night out for anyone.

"Oh really? Then where exactly is Halle?" I tease with a smirk, as I lean across the bar in her direction. It's not a necessary question, as I saw her first, briefly, before seeing Vanessa. She seemed excited to see me here, and told me to keep an eye on Vanessa while she went to the other end of the bar to order another drink. It's a good thing I did too, as that creep could have possibly done something violent and disgusting if I hadn't have been here.

Vanessa's face falls, and she frantically searches for her friend, her eyes darting all over the room. I quickly assure her of her whereabouts.

"I actually just saw her. She's right down there," I say, pointing to the end of the bar where Halle stands, twirling her long, light-brown hair around her finger as she flirts with the bartender for a free drink.

Vanessa's shoulders relax, and she sighs a breath of relief as she places her empty glass on the bar next to mine. I take this moment to fully appreciate her body, making sure not to let my eyes linger for too long.

"Who're your friends?" she asks with a slight slur as she turns back to me, leaning on the bar a little for support. The corner of my mouth lifts in amusement.

"Are you drunk?" I don't know Vanessa Harrison, at all really. I'd like to imagine that she's a shrew; it'd make it a little easier for me to stay away from her.

Clearly, that's not the case.

She rolls her eyes at me, and I can't help the full blown smile that sneaks its way across my face.

"If you must know, yes. Yes I am."

I lift an eyebrow.

"What? I'm a grown woman. Just because I have a child, doesn't mean that I can't have fun, too." She quips, her bottom lip pooching out a tad.

I smirk at her again.

Halle appears then, basically skipping to where we're standing, her sequined emerald dress shimmering in the colorful lights.

"Hello Christopher Peters," she says upon arriving.

"Please, call me Chris. There's no need for such formality outside of work," I declare. Halle and Vanessa exchange a glance, before both looking back at me.

"What about inside of work?" Vanessa questions, her grammar a little off from the alcohol running through her veins. I look towards the ground to hide my grin before looking directly into her caramel-colored eyes.

"Chris is just fine."

She smiles at me, and my heart almost literally stops.

"Who're your friends, Chris?" Halle eyes Aaron, my childhood friend, and I peek over at the men that came out with me tonight, before looking back to the two women standing before me.

"Why don't you come with me? You can meet them for yourselves."

They exchange glances once again.

"There's free champagne," I add, and that seems to do the trick.