Chapter 38: Here Comes the Landslide

The decision to leave Blue Sky seems a little more appealing in this moment, as I wipe a damp towel across Chris' blood-stained knuckles.

After the security guards arrived, they escorted a bloodied Jeremiah from the premises, and gave Chris a formal warning for his outburst. Although Chris was just defending himself — and me, I'd like to think — he beat himself up about his actions, saying that he was 'out of line' and that he 'never should have even interfered'.

We sit in his office, the sunset casting a sherbet, orange glow behind him as I kneel on the floor before him, gently cleaning his wounded hands. I stop patting, and stare directly into his green, hazel eyes.

"Maybe it wasn't your fight, but I'm glad you said something," I admit. "I've always been too afraid to actually tell him what I'm thinking, or how I feel about anything. I've let him disrespect me and take advantage of me over the past three years. Now, it's finally over and done with."

He looks more surprised than the words taste coming out of my own mouth, and although I'm exhausted, and Chris and I will probably be dragged through the mud by the rest of the board for this, I smile. I smile because I realize that I'm no longer in love with Jeremiah. It's as if his recent behavior has jolted something awake inside of me; I don't care about his opinions on my personal life anymore, and I sure as hell don't seek his approval anymore.

Chris lifts the corner of his mouth up in a sad attempt to follow suit, and I laugh because his lip is swollen, and he can't stretch them that far.

He winces at the pain, and then rolls his eyes at me with a huff.

I plant a soft kiss on his mouth.

"So," I say. "Now that our secret is out, what do you want to do?"

***

I can't get the nagging feeling out of the back of my mind that I need to tell Chris about the job offer I received earlier this week. I don't see why I need to tell him right now though, since I don't even know if I'm going to take it.

You'd be crazy not to.

Although I tell myself that it's necessary to keep this a secret for now, so I don't add any more stress to his overbearing schedule, I know how I'd feel if our roles were reversed.

And I will tell him... eventually.

At least once I've decided if I'm going to take the job or not.

Chris and I wait on the bench outside of the conference room to meet with the board about our actions, and I nervously pick at my cuticles, my leg bobbing up and down rapidly.

Chris raises an eyebrow as he looks at me from out of the corner of his eye.

"You know I love all your cute, little quirks," Chris states, as he shifts his body so he's facing me. "Like how you suck in your bottom lip when you're thinking, or how you scrunch your eyebrows together when you're frustrated, but could you please stop shaking your leg? You're making me nervous."

I stop fidgeting immediately.

"Sorry," I mumble, looking at the floor. "This is just a waste of time."

He nods his head, his mouth tight.

"I agree, but everything will be just fine," he assures me. "Everything happens for a reason."

I snap my head up to look at Chris. He gazes off into the distance now, his face completely zen.

My heart swells with the love and affection that I've tried so hard to push away, and I smile to myself as I recall my mother's commanding voice reciting that phrase to me throughout my childhood. This time, however, it's coming from Chris, who doesn't even realize that he's made my day so much better in the slightest possible way.