Chapter 28: I Mean It

"Hey. You okay?" Chris leans against my office door frame, and places his hands in his pockets.

I look up from my phone, and sniffle.

He reads my expression quickly, and is in my office instantaneously. His tall figure stands before me, not entirely sure what to do.

When he suddenly kneels down next to me as I'm seated in my office chair, my instincts prompt me to reach out and touch him. I decide to keep my hands to myself for the time being.

I dab a napkin beneath my eyes, thankful that I wore waterproof makeup. I guess I had a feeling I'd need to.

"What's wrong?" He inquires, reaching a hand out to wipe a single tear away.

I allow his thumb to brush the moisture from my cheek as I look at him with bloodshot eyes.

"It's nothing. I'm just being sensitive," I explain, standing from my chair and smoothing my dress out.

He rises with me, his muscular frame alarmingly close.

"That's bullshit, Vanessa. Just tell me," Chris says.

I glance behind him towards the door, which is wide open, and nod my head at it to signal him to close it. He does so, and also draws the shades down over the glass walls that look out at the lobby.

When he turns back to me, we stand in silence for a moment before I answer him.

"It's Jeremiah."

As soon as the words are out, his face falls.

"You still love him, don't you?" He asks somberly.

"Well, yes. But not in the way you're thinking."

This seems to lift his spirits a little, and I explain further.

"I just saw this post on Instagram," I say, and hand my phone to him so he can see the photo for himself.

He takes the cellular device from my hand and looks at it carefully.

"Is that her?" Chris asks softly. "The woman he cheated with?"

I nod my head slowly, the tears threatening to fall again.

"And your daughter?"

A small squeak sounds from my throat, and I feel my eyes well up with tears.

Chris hands my phone back to me, and I take it as I pat beneath my eyes again.

"How did you find this photo? You're not following her, are you?"

I shake my head back and forth.

"No. My sister's been keeping an eye on Jeremiah. Against my wishes," I add. "She sent me the link to her profile."

"V, I'm so sorry," he says, and pulls me into a tight embrace.

His signature scent, and the feeling of his strong arms wrapped around me calms my fast, beating heart, and suddenly, I feel at peace.

"I don't know anything about co-parenting, but I'm sure it's no walk in the park. Anyone would be hurt by the thought of another person taking their place in the life of their child." He strokes my hair, and I close my eyes, breathing him in.

Too soon, he pulls away.

"Maybe you shouldn't look through her profile anymore," he suggests with a smirk, and I can't help but smile back at him.