Chapter 20: An Open Book

She looks different today; still beautiful, but a little exhausted. I know something must have happened, but it's not appropriate for me to ask.

At least, not at work.

Vanessa rounds the corner, passing by my office again, her eyes fixated on her feet as she walks somberly to her own office.

I should go talk to her. At least see if she needs anything? No. I should leave her alone. She'll come to me if she wants to talk.

She knows she can talk to me, right?

Probably not. We haven't exactly been on the best of terms lately. Not that either of us is angry with the other, but I think we both know we should keep our distance; what with me being back with Dawn and her being married and all...

That couldn't be it, could it? Is she having marriage problems?

I hope not.

Having went through a pretty nasty divorce myself, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Screw it. I'm going to talk to her.

I stand from my desk, my mind made up already, to head to Vanessa's office, but when I reach just outside of her door, out walks Halle Mendez.

She quickly shuts the door behind her before I get a chance to take a peek inside, and there we both stand, oddly at ease in each other's presence.

Halle has been dating one of my closest friends, Aaron Sanders, for the past month-ish. As far as I can tell, she's good for him.

Aaron used to be a lady's man, a party animal, someone who liked to get into trouble just for the thrill of it. Since he started dating Halle, he's changed; matured even, if you will, and we've all shared some fun nights together; she's even met Dawn a few times.

This, however, is a different situation.

"How is she, really?" I ask, trying not to sound too interested, and failing.

Halle raises an eyebrow, and crosses her arms in front of her.

"Chris. I've gotten to know you pretty well over the last month, and I can read you like a book," she says.

I smirk at her, remembering when she, Aaron, Dawn and I played drunken poker one night; even then it was easy for her to tell when I was bluffing and when I had a good hand.

"She needs you, you know." Her statement catches me off-guard.

I eye her suspiciously.

"We don't even know each other that well," I tell her. "Plus, I don't even know what's bothering her."

Something in her expression changes, and she seems to grow sad as she ponders my words.

"You didn't hear this from me," she threatens in a low tone, "and I'm only telling you this because I know she won't..."

I nod my head once to show her that I'm listening.

"She and Jeremiah are getting a divorce."

***

Waiting around all day has been killing me. All I want to do is talk to Vanessa to make sure she's okay.

I'm no stranger to the pain that divorces can bring, and if what Halle says is true, Vanessa must be in a lot of it right now. Even more so, because she has a child involved.

I'd like to wring her husband's neck just for making her go through this.

A small knock sounds at my door, and then in walks Vanessa. Her hair is a little out of place, and I recognize the shirt she's wearing as the blouse she wore when we first met; it still has the coffee stain on the sleeve. Her brown eyes are red and puffy, like she's been crying, but to me, she still looks as beautiful as ever.

"Chris, I — I probably shouldn't bother you with this..." she begins.

"No. Please. You can talk to me about anything. You know that," I reassure her.

I stand from my desk, putting my hands in my pockets in an attempt at controlling my urging desire to take her into my arms.

She looks up at me with teary eyes, and I can see the pain she's feeling.

It takes every bone in my body, every bit of strength that I have, to stay in my spot behind my desk. I force myself to not go to her, take her face in my hands and wipe her tears away.

"Um, I was just wondering if you'd let me take a personal day tomorrow?" she asks in a shaky voice, trying to hold back her tears.

I wish she'd just let them fall. I want her to feel comfortable enough to find solace in me.

But again, it wouldn't be appropriate.

I nod my head.

"Yes. Take all the time you need. And here," I take out one of my business cards, and quickly scribble my personal cell number on the back of it.

I know it's a risky move, but she should have it anyway.

"Call me if you need anything," I say, handing her the card. "And I mean it. Anything at all." I hope she understands what I mean.

She looks slightly surprised, but takes the business card from my outstretched hand anyway.

"Thank you," she says, and I can tell she knows that I know. She then does something I would have never thought she'd do. She walks over to where I'm standing behind my desk, and gives me a hug.

I'm not sure what the rules are at work regarding public displays of affection, but I suddenly don't care.

I wrap her in my arms as tight as I can without hurting her, and allow her the comfort she needs right now.

She smells like fresh lavender and eucalyptus, and I breathe in as much of her scent as I can before the moment is over.

Eventually it is, and she steps away.

—————————————————————

What should Vanessa and Christopher's 'ship name be? Let me know in the comments! Don't forget to VOTE ⭐️ and leave your feedback!