Chapter 37: Mr. Big Shot

"So we are very certain that this new system will in no way impact your past or current advertisements," I say to Julian Pratt, our biggest client.

We've been testing out a new design structure that will speed up the ad-making process, giving us, as a company, more time to either take on new clients or to take a breather. It's just a matter of getting our current clients on board.

Julian eyes me warily, his fingers clasped in an upside-down V in front of his mouth. He places them down on the table, and briefly reviews the notes we gave him in the meeting before he turns his head, and speaks to his people in a hushed tone.

Halle and I exchange a nervous glance, and I shift my weight onto my right leg.

As Julian continues to discuss his decision with the others, my thoughts wander off to an unexpected conversation I had on the phone this morning before work.

I received a call from an HR rep for a company called FirstSkin, an all-inclusive intimates brand that donates 20% of each sale to a non-profit in India that is dedicated to helping low-income women and girls attain clean and safe period products.

I read into the company a little more online while I took a late lunch in my office. The underwear and bras they sell are a little on the pricier side, but it's for a really good cause and they've already more than doubled their sales since the start of December.

The HR rep informed me that their CEO, Sofia Mendoza, found my profile on LinkedIN, and immediately knew that I was who they wanted to manage their social media team. I spoke to her briefly, on my way to the office and we seemed to vibe really well together.

The job title is in the same field of relevance to 'Creative Director', not to mention they're based right here, out of Atlanta, it's an all-women company, and it's a pay raise, but there's still so much I'll have to consider.

I'm brought back to the present when Julian Pratt clears his throat, and turns back to face me, his decision made.

"Okay. Deal," Julian agrees with a nod, and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in.

After shaking hands with Julian, I wish him a Happy Holiday, and then continue to press forward with my final task for the day, before the office closes for the rest of the week.

"I thought he'd never agree," Halle discloses to me as we head to my office. "Maybe I finally made it onto Santa's Nice List this year!"

"It's way too late for that one, Hal," I say to her with a laugh.

"Yeah, well you're not such a good girl yourself, Ness," Halle smirks, and I roll my eyes with a smile.

"You can say that again."

A familiar tone sounds from behind us, and we both turn in response to it.

I almost don't recognize the man that stands before me; his tall frame is tense, his hands balled into fists at his side. The once clean shaven face I'd grown to know so well, is now bristly with small stubble enveloping his entire jaw. His blonde hair is slicked back in the same way he used to wear it, but his eyes, which were always so kind and trustworthy before, are now wounded and damaged.

"What?" I attempt to ask as naturally as I can, but my voice comes out strained. I've never seen him this way before.

"What exactly is going on between you and Christopher Peters?" Jeremiah questions quietly, his knuckles tightening.

"Jer, I —" I begin.

"No, Vanessa. You don't owe him an explanation at all," Halle interrupts, glaring at Jeremiah.