XXVI- brotherly love

Lawrence woke up the day after the showcase, he was still unsure if (Y/n) was okay and thought about sending her a message but decided against it, he didn't want to come off as needy.

It would be a lie to say he hadn't thought about the things he'd like to do concerning his love for (Y/n), but Carlisle was the main problem in the equation. If (Y/n) were to live with Lawrence, she'd also be exposed to Carlisle, and Lawrence didn't trust his brother alone with the love of his life. It was a puzzle that there was seemingly no way around... unless someone else had taken a liking to (Y/n) of the same manner of Lawrence and Carlisle, Lawrence could have this person keep Carlisle in check when he wan't around. This was a nice idea but he deemed it unlikely that there would be someone else as obsessed as the two brothers in the same girl.

Lawrence had just finished his breakfast and was about to practice some dance in the studio when he was stopped by Carlisle.

"Dad's calling today, you should be there to say hello." Carlisle began dragging Lawrence to the laptop where the video call would take place.

"Does he even want to speak to me?"

Carlisle sighed loudly. "Just be a supportive son, okay? You don't need to say much."

Lawrence sat down on one of the chairs that faced the screen, dreading speaking to his father. "I thought he wasn't allowed technology on the retreat anyway..." He muttered, resting the side of his face on his palm.

"He's taking a break to talk to us, so look alive." Carlisle nudged Lawrence to get him to sit up slightly and the alert for a video call came through. Carlisle clicked the green 'accept' button and Warren Verily's face appeared on screen.

"Hey, dad!"

"Hello, sir."

"Hello, son, how are you doing?" Warren didn't even address Lawrence, they both knew that 'son' meant Carlisle so he began speaking.

"Well, the showcase was a huge success, I was given a standing ovation for my solo!" He announced proudly.

Warren nodded. Lawrence was about to speak about his experience at the showcase but Warren beat him to it.

"Fiji is incredible, I've only been here for a short amount of time and I already feel myself healing."

"That's great, dad,"

Carlisle and Warren continued to talk but Lawrence paid little attention. Even with his father in a different country he still managed to get to him, he practically ate, slept and breathed Warren.

Eventually, Carlisle wished his father farewell and hung up. "He seems to be enjoying himself,"

"Yeah, whatever..." Lawrence got up and began walking away.

"Hey!" Carlisle called out. Lawrence stopped in his tracks."Don't get pissy with me. It's your fault one of my parents died, I'm allowed a good relationship with the other."

"It's not my fault..." Lawrence murmured, not facing his older brother.

"What was that?" Carlisle got up and began approaching Lawrence. He turned the younger man to face him roughly. "Do you want to say that again?"

"It's not my fault." Lawrence repeated, louder this time.

"Really? So if you had never been born, would mom still have died?"

Lawrence didn't answer.

"And if you weren't such a prick, she wouldn't have had to go to the school in the first place, right?"

He kept silent.

"Don't get mad at me and dad for resenting you. You killed my mom and you killed his wife, you deserve everything dad did to you." Carlisle walked past his unresponsive brother in triumph.

Lawrence thought back to all the abuse he received from Warren, verbal and physical. Did he really deserve it? How was he supposed to know the car would crash? He sighed out, at least Carlisle wasn't taking on his father's role, he just threatened him.

Lawrence's mind cast to (Y/n), he wanted to talk to her. She felt like the only person who would understand his parental issues, they've both got mommy issues beyond belief. Lawrence suddenly felt a flash of confidence go through him, like (Y/n) was giving him strength. He followed Carlisle up to his room.

"Lawrence, what now-"

"She could never love someone like you." Lawrence blurred out from the doorway. Carlisle knew instantly who he was talking about.

"What...?" Carlisle dared Lawrence to continue.

"You enable Warren to abuse me. You use that against me, you think she could ever love someone like that?"

Carlisle felt fury flow through him but kept a calm exterior. "And I suppose you think she'd love you- a murderer."

"I'm not a murderer." Lawrence shrugged. "And if I told her about how you were completely sober during that so-called 'drunken kiss', I don't think she'd be too pleased with you."

Carlisle's nostrils flared. "Defend yourself all you want, you still killed mom- that was her idol."

The brothers stood facing each other in a competitive silence, seeing who would make the first move.

"Maybe I should call dad to remind of your place."

"No. I'm sorry." Lawrence felt his bravery sucked out of him in the face of this threat.

"That's better."

The two boys sat in the living room, they'd cried all of their tears over the few days prior. Carlotta Verily had been dead for four days and they hadn't seen their father since the news came. Warren had confined himself to his bedroom but his was the day he spoke to his sons.

Warren came down the stairs with bloodshot eyes and scruffy hair. His usually smart appearance had been shattered. Warren looked at his youngest son and shook his head, grief and disappointment filled his eyes. Lawrence had to look away.

Carlisle leapt into his father's embrace. "Dad!" The young boy's tears started again as he buried his face into his father's chest. Lawrence watched from aside, contemplating what to do. The hug between the father and son lasted a good few minutes as the neglected son just watched awkwardly, when they finally broke apart, Lawrence began to speak.

"Dad, I-"

"That's sir to you."

Both boys looked at Warren with perplexed faces.

"Dad, What do y-"

A harsh slap came down on the boy with white hair. Carlisle's breath hitched, he feared for his brother but not enough to intervene.

"You don't call me that." Warren looked to Carlisle who flinched, afraid he may receive similar treatment. "Only my son calls me that." He gazed back at the boy he believed to cause his wife's death. "You will call me sir."

"Ok, sir." Lawrence said between sobs, not meeting Warren's fiery eyes. His chin was grabbed by a calloused hand and he was forced to stare at his father.

"You are to look at me when I speak to you!" He dropped the boy's chin and lifted him to stand by his shoulders. "Have some respect, boy!"

"Ok..."

A small nudge came from Carlisle.

"...sir."