- 12 -

[Chapter 12 - Back in Business]

- Riley -

Today is a good day, it will be a good day, it already is a good day, today is a good day. 

I just finished showering, hyped up for today already. Today I can finally play baseball again, and to say I was excited would be an understatement. I have been waiting for this day for the past two weeks now, and even though it's a Monday, today is a good Monday.

I left the house early to get myself some coffee from Dunkin, not that I needed it. I just wanted it, and now being able to do things by myself like drive and play, I'm going to do so. 

When I showed up to school I stayed in my jeep for a while, as I was pretty early. I drank my coffee and ate my donut, getting a sugar rush is something I definitely don't need right now, but it's going to happen.

I went to take a bite out of my second donut when it was snatched from my hand. I turned to see the culprit and saw Kayden smirking as he took a bite, "You do not need this, especially today. You could get sick from the sugar, later on, I already saw you eat one." I crossed my arms and pouted.

"So why do you get to eat it then?" He laughed and I gave him an unamused expression. "Because babe, I didn't eat breakfast this morning and like I said you already ate one." I blushed a little when he called me babe, he calls me all these pet names and I never really get used to it. 

He took my hand and guided me out of my jeep, giving me a hug and kiss once I was out. I smiled, today really is a good day - minus Kayden taking my donut.

He interlocked his hand with mine and we walked into the school to meet up with everyone else. 

"Hey little S is back in business!" Ashton laughed and so did I, "Yeah I am, and thankfully too." He smiled, "Yeah the team really sucked without you playing." He said pulling me in for a hug, I hugged him back and agreed.

Kayden decided to end our hug almost immediately as he pulled me back and wrapped a hand around my waist. "Kayden I'm allowed to hug my friends," I said annoyed, I thought nothing could ruin this day. He buried his face in my neck while murmuring "I know" into my ear. I sighed and mouthed 'sorry' to Ashton who just laughed.

I turned to notice Brantley and Whinnie in their own conversation, his arm around her as well. I smiled knowing my ship is close to sailing. 

"So Ashton when do you plan on getting a girlfriend?" I asked he looked at me wide-eyed. "Me and a girlfriend? HA! I'm not into commitment, at least not yet. I'm surprised these two even settled down, well Brant I was expecting cause he has liked Whinnie for a while. But not Kayden, do you know how many girls he has slept with and dumped?" He ranted.

"That's enough Hawk, I will hurt you." Kayden grumbled in a deep voice, I rolled my eyes though "You're not allowed to hurt my bestie."

He grumbled something and held me closer to him, I sighed and just stood there waiting on the bell to ring so Kayden will unhook from me.

I walked up to plate and got into position, we were in the bottom of the seventh, last inning and we were down by one. I was the last player to go into the hole before the game ended, so really it all counted on me. 

When I walked onto the field I saw the boys reactions and they all laughed thinking they had won the game already, well they haven't played against me. Landon, a center field player was on first base and Kayden was on third. 

The pitcher stood ready and I watched and waited for him. He threw a curveball that nailed me right in the thigh, earning me a dead ball as I did not expect that. I felt my leg give out from under me but I caught myself, I heard the umpire call out 'dead ball' and motion for my coach to come over. 

I saw Kayden ready to pounce on the pitcher but he made no moves, thankfully. Coach walked over to me, "Are you okay? Is it bad?" I shook my leg and started bouncing on it, "Nah coach I'm fine, it's just gonna leave a nasty bruise." He nodded and said something to the umpire before walking back to his place. 

I jumped again shaking the pain and got ready for the next pitch, he threw a curveball that was too low for me to hit so I made no attempt. The ball was thrown back and I got myself ready again.

This time the pitcher threw a fastball and I made the attempted swing, I heard the metal clink ring through the air as I saw everyone watch my ball turn into a dinger. I heard my team cheer as I ran around the bases disreguarding my pain in my thigh.

We won the game 8-6 and that put us in the semi-finals. When I crossed home plate the team was cheering me on like crazy and all I could do is smile. It was my first game back, I got injured but I played good. I can't wait to tell Corey later on. 

After we said good game to the other team, the coach said I had to go see the trainer so they could check out my thigh, which was indeed bruised. They just taped a bag of ice to my thigh and told me to rest, I look ridiculous but I just agreed and got on the bus waiting to go home. 

The players were already on the bus and waiting for me, so when I got on I sat beside Kayden and propped my legs upon him. It was about nine o'clock at night considering we had a late-game of seven at night, at a school thirty minutes away.

When we got to the school I headed straight for my car and drove home with a smile on my face, I'm back in business baby!

Chapter 12 guys!

Sorry for the shorter chapter guys, my laptop is dying and with me being gone for so long I just wanted to get a few chapters out for you!

Let me know your thoughts!