8 | Demonic Cousin

1387 CE

Voices echo in the new stone compound; the Mikaelson M plastered on every medieval pillar. A man lounges next to one such pillar as Mikaelsons walk through the entrance—most wearing their latest meal.

"Must we stay here?" Kol whines as he wipes his mouth. "We nearly escaped the plague—why should we stay?"

"Call it what it was, brother," Lexi sighs, pausing to turn to him. "We escaped Mikael, not the black plague."

Elijah also stops next to Lexi, a handkerchief outstretched to Kol. "And we stay here to be inconspicuous. Mikael cannot find us if no one lives here."

"Well, I can find you," the man says loudly. His voice bounces off of the stone walls, causing all of the Mikaelsons to turn to him.

Klaus, being Klaus, steps forward with an expression full of false camaraderie. "Who are you?" he asks. "And what are you doing in our home?"

The man pushes off the wall; he too wears a smirk of chaos and mystery. He steps forward with too much confidence, saying, "I am Thomas. I wanted to introduce myself to the neighbors."

Something about the way he walks puts everyone on edge, even the hidden Beacon Hills pack. "I know him," Lydia whispers. "I swear, I know him."

"He's hundreds of years old," Peter says.

"No, I recognize him too," Stiles replies, stepping forward. "He's just too familiar."

Lexi does not move forward as the rest of her family creeps up to the man, slowly surrounding him. "I suggest you leave here while you can," Rebekah says, brandishing her vampire fangs. "Or else you'll become dessert."

The man simply laughs. "I don't think so, Rebekah. You see, I need your help."

"How do you know her name?" Lexi demands as she clenches her hands into fists. She circles around behind her siblings, only getting a few good glances in.

"The same way I know your's, Alexis." The man rolls his eyes. "Honestly, you would think the oldest vampires in the world would be smarter."

Pausing beside Kol, Lexi narrows her eyes at the man as she tilts her head to the side. Kol broadens his shoulders, shifting to cover more of Lexi from view. She simply sighs and remains where she is.

"What do you want?" Elijah asks.

The man points to the entrance. "In about two minutes, demon-like creatures are going to come through that door." Everyone but Lexi chances a glance back at the looming entrance. "I would like you to protect me."

"Why would we do that?" Lexi asks, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Different question." He turns his gaze to her, letting his lips curl up. "Which one of you is the strongest?"

Lexi blinks in confusion. She shares a glance with Klaus before she shakes her head. "We are all strong."

"But which one of you has the most power?" The man takes a step closer to her.

With a sneer, Kol steps between them. "Take another step, mate, and I'll tear your arms off."

He raises his hands with a fake frown. "You've only got another minute, Mikaelsons. Will you help or not?"

"What are you?" Lexi demands, peaking her head over Kol's shoulder. "What do these demons want with you? We could just hand you over."

The sick smirk returns to his lips. "You'll have to find out yourself, Alexis."