24 | Needs You to be the Alpha

2004

The full moon rises in the distance. Lexi glances out of the barred window above her, watching as it climbs higher into the sky with no signs of stopping. Looking back at Laura—chained up on the other end of the basement—Lexi sits down in her chair.

Laura's eyes have already begun to glow yellow. Her canines stick out of her gums and her claws poke through her fingertips. "Lexi," she growls. "Let me go."

"No," Lexi says, taking a book from beside her. "We knew you would lose control today, Laura—you asked me to keep you here, and I will."

Laura lunges but the jingling chains stop her. "Let me go!"

Lexi flips the page in her book. "Did you know that pineapples have this chemical that eats you as you eat them?" Lexi chuckles. "Such emo little things."

"Lexi." Laura's voice is barely recognizable anymore. "Let. Me. Go."

"The more you ask, the longer you stay here." Lexi glances at the clock with a frown. "And it is only eleven. What a shame."

"Not even you like it down here, Lexi!" Laura shouts, trying to claw at the chains. "Admit it. It's like a tomb."

"It is your basement," Lexi deadpans. "No one has died in here, nor will they. It's the safest place for an out of control wolf on the full moon. Especially because the Argents have moved to town." She shivers, once again glancing at the ceiling. "Hate those hunters."

"I will kill you!"

"I've heard it all before." Lexi waves a hand. "Channel that rage into something useful. Like English."

With a sneer, Laura jerks forward. "Maybe I'll channel it into killing you. Never was too good at English."

Letting out a low whistle, Lexi mutters, "Obviously."

Laura lunges again. "I bet you're scared," she says with a growl. "Scared that I can beat you like this. That's why I'm chained up."

"You are chained up because your boyfriend dumped you on Valentine's Day," Lexi replies. "And taking your uncle and brother to beat him up did not help that fact that he broke your heart."

One of the chains snaps.

Lexi jumps to her feet as Laura snarls. "One down," she says with a smirk. "One to go."

Rushing up the small staircase, Lexi opens the door at the end to see Talia leaning against the wall. Talia straightens her back as Lexi says, "I'm sealing the door. It will unlock with the sun."

"She broke the chains, didn't she?" Talia asks.

Lexi only closes the door. Pressing a hand against it, her skin begins to glow as she chants a spell. The door's edges melt into the threshold as Lexi leans her head against it and sighs.

Laura grabs onto Lexi's shirt, throwing her down the staircase. Groaning at the bottom, Lexi looks up as Laura descends on her. Laura roars with anger as Lexi dodges every blow. "Fight back!" she shouts, manages to slash Lexi's right leg.

Dropping to the ground, Lexi takes hold of Laura's wrists, holding her claws away from her face. "Laura!" She yells. "Control it!"

"Control is overrated." Laura brings her knee down, slamming it into Lexi's gut. In the blonde's moment of weakness, Laura's hand wraps around her throat, claws digging into the skin; Lexi inhales sharply as blood trickles down her neck.

"You want to kill me?" Lexi asks, willing her eyes to glow red. "Bury me and forget I ever existed?"

Laura's dull yellow eyes glare at Lexi. "Yes!"

"I won't let you." Lexi brings her hand up, breaking Laura's wrist in two. The young wolf shouts as Lexi hooks her leg around Laura to bring her to the ground; with a shout, Laura feels her spine crack but pays no heed to it as Lexi stumbles to her feet.

"Don't make me shift, Laura," Lexi warns; her voice becomes muffled by the new canines in her mouth. "You will not like it."

"Just get on with it!" Laura grabs Lexi's ankle and tugs. The Original crashes onto Laura, thrashing as the young wolf battles her way on top once more. Lexi winds up pinned to the ground again; each wolf has a hand wrapped around the other's throat.

As Laura growls, Lexi says, "I'm not going to kill you, Laura." Gently removing her hand, Lexi holds her palms up.

Leaning from her mistake before, Laura wastes no time in swiping her claws across Lexi's throat.

The blonde chokes, her hands trying to control the blood flowing from the three jagged cuts.

Laura's eyes dim. "Lexi?" She whimpers as red liquid slides out of Lexi's mouth. "Lexi?!" Holding her head in her hands, Laura feels tears fall down her face. "No, no, no! Stay alive. Lexi!"

—|—|—|—

When Lexi wakes, she finds a pool of blood surrounding her. Her sticky skin itches with new death as she pushes herself to her feet; running a hand down her face, she looks around the room. "Shit," she mutters when she sees Laura curled up in a ball across the basement.

The girl wakes with a start, her eyes puffy and filled with unshed tears. When she sees Lexi approaching, she yells, "No, no, no!" as she pushes herself farther away.

Narrowing her eyes, Lexi frowns. Kneeling on the floor, she says, "It's ok."

"No, it's not!" Laura's eyes flare red.

Lexi feels her heart stop. She blinks a few times before she wills her eyes to glow. "What color?" She demands. When Laura doesn't answer, Lexi grips the girl by the arms. "What color?"

"Blue," Laura replies with a sob. Her cries stop when she looks more closely. "But... How is that possible?"

"But what?" Lexi asks with ragged breath. "What is it?"

"I still see red."

The sun shines through the barred window, illuminating Lexi's face; she squints into the rays before she races upstairs, pushing through the heavy door and running into the bathroom. Ignoring Talia's and Laura's shouts, Lexi stares into her reflection.

The air leaves her lungs. Her eyes, glowing an icy blue, flicker in the dim light; however, red spots dot the blue iris, glowing almost as brightly as before. "How is this possible?" she whispers to herself as she tugs at the skin around her eyes.

"Maybe nature just needs you to be an Alpha." Lexi does not turn at Talia's voice. "You are the first, after all."

"But she took it." Turning to face the Alpha, Lexi's expression holds no malice. "I-I'm not upset—I knew it would happen eventually, but..." Her head drops, hanging between her shoulders. "I'm even more of an abomination than before."

"I'd like to think of it as a miracle," Talia sighs as she steps up to the blonde and places her hand on her shoulder. "You've still got some Alpha in you. That's a win."

"Sure," Lexi says with a curt nod. "We have different definitions of a win, but, ok. All that's left is to teach Laura how to deal with it. Won't be too difficult."

"She can't even look at me," Talia says with a sigh.

"It'll take some time." Lexi lets out a deep breath as her muscles relax. "We just need to go through it together. No matter what."

YEEEEE! I changed this part! Laura now has Lexi's Alpha status, which means it's all CYCLICAL AND I LOVE IT!! Hope you enjoyed!

-L