18 | Real or Not Real

1980

The pack stares at the Hale house as Lexi steps out of the door. "Come on, Amy!" she shouts behind her, a helmet in her hand. "You're gonna be late!"

"This cannot be real," Peter says once more, staring at the house that used to be his home.

Lexi steps up to a sleek black motorcycle, throwing her leg over it. She glances back at the door with an annoyed expression. "Amy!"

"Coming!" Her voice echoes from inside.

Talia steps onto the porch clad in an apron. "Remember, we got a pack meeting later today," she says as Amy's footsteps ring through the house. "You gotta be back in a half-hour so we can go over stuff."

"How could I forget?" Lexi asks with a roll of her eyes. "These idiots will probably be dead within the year."

"Lexi!" Talia scolds, flicking her hand towel off of her shoulder and towards the blonde. Lexi chuckles to herself as Talia says, "Don't say that. Especially not when Deucalion can hear you."

"Screw Deuc," Lexi says. "He's annoying."

Talia opens her mouth but no words escape as she blinks. "I can't really disagree," she mutters.

Lexi smirks, pressing her hand against her ear. "What was that?" she asks, raising her eyebrows and pressing her tongue against her teeth. "I couldn't hear you, but it almost sounds like, 'Lexi's right, as always.'"

"You are not always right," Talia replies with a small smile.

"Of course, I am," Lexi turns back to put her helmet on. "I'm the Original Alpha. I am always right."

Talia rolls her eyes before she yells, "Amy! Come on!"

"I'm here, I'm here!" the girl yells, running out of the house as her bag bounces against her leg. "Pete is so annoying!" she grumbles as she slides onto the motorcycle behind Lexi; the blonde hands the brunette a helmet. "He spilled everywhere!"

"Crap, Peter!" Talia yells, running back into the house.

Lexi chuckles to herself as she grips the handlebars. "Ok, we have twenty minutes until school," she says. "I'll get you there in ten."

"But school is twenty minutes away," Amy says with a frown.

Lexi smirks as she pushes her visor down. "Hold on."

Amy's hands wrap around Lexi's torso. As the teen squeals, Lexi lifts her foot and takes off through the forest.

"I don't remember that," Peter says, pursing his lips. "That—that didn't happen."

"It looks like it did," Lydia replies.

Peter shakes his head. "No, I don't believe it."

—|—|—|—

1982

The door to the Hale house slams open; Lexi holds a weak and bloody Talia who looks like she is barely hanging onto consciousness. Dark liquid coats Lexi's face and clothes and she has a large cut across her stomach, but she ignores it as she yells, "Amy! Amy!"

The brunette girl jumps up from the couch, ignoring how Peter's head drops to the couch. The boy groans loudly, sitting up with groggy eyes as Amy rushes up to the two wolves. "What happened?" She asks, panic rising in her throat.

"Get the blow torch," Lexi pants as she moves over to the living room. She gently sits Talia down on the couch before learning the coffee table of objects. "And get Peter out of here."

"What, no!" Peter yells when he sees the blood. He crawls over to Talia, who's bright green eyes are dimmed from the pain. "Tali? Talia?!"

"Amy, now!" Lexi shouts. She rips off her shirt, leaving her in only a tan bra before she tears the material up. Wrapping them around Talia's torso, the Alpha groans in pain, trying to push Lexi off. "Talia, stop moving."

"No, Mmm fine," she mutters.

Amy stands behind the couch, eyes wide and frozen on Talia. Her mouth hangs open but she cannot move or speak as Peter continues to poke Talia's arm.

Lexi glances up at Amy, her eyes flashing blue before turning red. "Amelia, now!"

Snapping into action, Amy picks Peter up and throws him over her shoulder. Ignoring his protests, she carries him away despite his hands hitting her back. "Take me back!" His shouts echo through the house.

Lexi slowly moves her open palm over Talia's torn skin while her other hand grips her friend's. Black veins snake up Lexi's arm. "That was so utterly stupid," she says, watching as the skin slowly knits itself together; the large wound on her stomach continues bleeding black blood all over the couch.

"You would do the same for me," Talia breathes, her eyes fluttering.

"I'm immortal, you bloody idiot." Lexi shakes her head before yelling, "Amy! I need that blowtorch!"

The girl runs back into the room, throwing the tool over to Lexi. The blonde catches it and instantly turns it on. The fire reflects in all of their eyes, igniting a determination Lexi had not felt in many years. "Hold her hand—this will hurt," Lexi orders.

Amy grabs Talia's hand, black veins already appearing on her skin, as Lexi rips Talia's shirt open.

The Alpha screams the moment the fire touches her skin.

"Hold her down!" Lexi shouts over Talia's pain-filled screams. Amy does her best, but Talia continues to writhe on the couch, trying to escape the fire.

Lexi roars, her eyes going red.

Talia gasps, her body going still. Still enough that the fire pierces the skin of her wound, burning out the wolfsbane. Five seconds is all that's needed before Lexi pulls the torch away, throwing it across the room.

Pressing her hand against the wound, Lexi whispers a skin. She can feel the skin knitting together beneath her fingers; sighing in relief, she nods at Amy. The girl sags in the couch as Lexi removes her hands. "Never do that again, Tal," Lexi says as Talia opens your eyes. "You scared the shit out of me."

Amy curls under Talia's arm, burying her head into Talia's body. "We still need you, idiot," she rasps, trying to hold in tears.

The entire pack turns to a very pale Peter. "So," Lydia asks, sticking out her hip. "Did that happen?"

Peter glances back as the young boy runs back into the room, launching into Talia's awaiting arms. "It...may have."

"What do you remember?" Derek asks, his eyes wider than the rest.

"I was seven!" Peter exclaims. "All I remember is blood and fear." He pauses, pursing his lips. "But Amy used to bring this up all the time before something big. Always used to say, 'We might not be here next time—don't risk too much.'"

Derek turns back to the small gathering of Hales before Lexi. "So she knows us—our family."

"It seems that way."

Derek isn't even born yet and I already ship whats coming so hard. :) Hope you enjoyed!

-L