13 | Prohibition

1919 CE

Lexi sits at the head of a very long table with Elijah standing behind her, his hand resting on her shoulder; men in suits sit in the remaining chairs, all nervously sharing glances. With her head held high, Lexi's piercing gaze bounces from one man to the next, trying to connect with them in any way.

"It's the compound," Scott says as he looks around. The long table is situated in one of the many dining halls in the Mikaelson compound in New Orleans.

"So, they're already the royalty of Louisiana," Derek says with a small smirk. "Of course, they are. When were they not?"

As the last two men enter the large dining room, Lexi glances up at Elijah. "Gentlemen, make yourselves at home," Elijah says with a booming voice. "Mayor O'Connell appears to be running late, but there is much to discuss."

A masculine laugh echoes in the room. The Mikaelsons roll their eyes as the other men glance up to the staircase where Klaus descends. "One moment, please, brother," he says with a smirk. "You know how much I enjoy these illicit, little gatherings."

"Do not worry." In contrast to Klaus' mocking tone, Lexi's melodic voice soars through the tense air in the room. "Despite my brother's gruesome reputation, I can assure you, we've invited you here to broker a peace."

The men run their eyes down her body, many pausing at her chest. As she narrows her eyes, each and every single man sends her a disapproving glance as if to say Not your place.

"You have my word," Elijah says, catching the many demeaning looks.

"Men," Lexi mutters under her breath. "So egotistical. Such bravado. I wonder how many would send me such glances if they knew I've lured most of their wives into bed."

Elijah chokes on his laughter, trying terribly hard to contain himself; Klaus releases a loud scoff. The rest of the men glance between the MIkaelson siblings in confusion as Klaus settles beside Elijah.

"To business before they find out then." Klaus sends her a wicked smirk to be met with Lexi's own grin. He looks at the two men who were late to the meeting. "You two are from the Guerrera crime family. A brutish pack of thieves and killers. And that's nothing compared to what you become on a full moon, is it?"

"Yes, yes, yes," Elijah says, placing his hand against Klaus' chest. "Of course, a bite from your kin is not lethal to an Original. The conflict between us would not end well for you at all." Lexi's eyes spark as Elijah continues. "My family controls the ports of the city, but with Prohibition soon to be the law of the land, there'll be a certain uptick in the kind of federal presence we prefer to avoid. Therefore I'd like to suggest a system whereby—under our supervision, of course—the Guerrera family can traffic alcohol into the city of New Orleans for a profit. We would still be in charge, but our rule would remain a secret."

Footsteps draw Lexi's gaze away from the men at the table. She stands as three men in white suits walk into the room. She is the one to meet them halfway as the man in the middle says. "This all sounds very good. But, tell me, how will it benefit the witches?"

Lexi tilts her head to the side. "I'm sorry, this is a private meeting."

"Yes, for the kings of the city." His dark eyes stare deep into Lexi's. "And, apparently, the queen." Taking her hand in his, he presses his lips to her skin. "But I, too, am a king, and I have rules."

Lexi takes her hand back slowly, knowing better than to talk. Whenever a new king arrives, she leaves it to Klaus to deal with it.

"I'm impressed," Klaus' voice echoes from behind her. "You're either quite ambitious or quite mad. What's your name, mate?" The bitterness in his tone is hard to miss.