34 | Time for it to End

Sun shines down on the old cemetery. It is almost abandoned, save a few mourners milling about. An empty, forsaken tomb stands alone in the center, no one daring to go near it; only one man approaches the barren grass surrounding it.

Not a single flower grows before the marble white structure. Dust and spider webs cover the outside columns and shadows cover the walls. Inside, a stain glass window allows light in; it depicts a fallen angel fighting its way back to an unearthly light while fire trails behind it.

Mikael frowns at the building before the open coffin catches his eye. He walks up the marble steps slowly, his senses betraying him. Glancing at the gated door, he sees the broken lock hanging from the handle. He pauses before the coffin; sticking his hand in, his fingers wrap around the large chains.

The door closes behind him.

"Hello, Father."

Mikael turns just as Lexi thrusts her fingers into his chest. Gasping, his eyes go wide as he grasps at her unyielding hand. A sadistic smirk mars her lips as she tilts her head to the side. "Are you surprised?" She asks as the veins on her arms turn black. "Or are you just idiotic?"

As the power drains from his veins, Mikael grasps at the marble tomb, barely able to hold himself up. "Let me go!" He bellows.

"No." Lexi forces her fingers around his heart, relishing in the feeling of her claws piercing the organ. "Your reign of terror has gone on long enough. It is time for it to end."

Mikael falls to his knees, staring up at Lexi looming over him. "Not a coward after all," he says with a hint of a smile. "I raised you well."

Lexi leans down so she is face to face with him. "I learned this all on my own. Your parenting was not the cause of my strength. I am the cause of my strength."

Her eyes glow blue.

Mikael gasps as his skin grows paler and paler.

"You thought Niklaus a monster?" Lexi sneers, her canines muffling her voice. "You thought him an outsider? Well, do you remember when you left me for dead? When I saved your worthless life from Niklaus? When he bit me?"

The blue disappears under red.

"Answer me this, Mikael, when you heard those stories of the Original Alpha, did you ever, for even a second, think it could be me? Or was your ignorance bigger than your reason?"

"You—" he pants. "Abomination—"

"Call me whatever you please," Lexi chuckles with an edge of fury. "But now, after all these centuries, you know the truth. And you will never be able to do a bloody thing about it."

Mikael's mouth opens but his muscles freeze in place. Lexi removes her clawed hand from his chest, letting the blood drip onto the pristine floor of the tomb. With a wave of her hand, the chains from the coffin wrap around Mikael's body, dragging it into the casket.

Placing the bloody hand on the cover, Lexi smirks down at her father's open eyes. "You shouldn't have killed them," she says. "If only your ego wasn't bigger than your heart. Maybe this could have ended differently."

She slides the coffin closed.

The blonde backs away from the marble building, her eyes wide and her heart racing. She half expects Mikael to jump out and kill her for what she's done; the hollow feeling inside her chest continues to ache as she seals to tomb shut behind her.

The moment she steps off of the marble, it begins to glow dark purple. It disintegrates before her eyes, leaving only an octagon of space with no grass; she places a hand over her heart to find bloodstains on her shirt.