28 | Lullaby

Sitting in the lit living room of the Hale House with her legs curled under her, Lexi holds a thick book in her hands. With the lit fireplace and the lamp by the couch, she has ample light to read. A glass of white wine sits on the coffee table, faint lipstick surrounding the edges.

As Lexi flips the page of the book, she frowns. Letting the book fall into her lap, Lexi tilts her head so that her ear is facing the staircase. "Oh, Derek," she whispers low enough for the werewolf not to hear.

Echoing in her ears are the sounds of Derek's racing heartbeat and his muttered pleads for Paige. She hears him wake suddenly, his stifled cry making her flinch. All that is left is his panting; she can faintly smell saltwater from his room.

As she glances back down at the book, Lexi presses her lips together and begins to hum. The familiar melody soothes her as she takes the book in her hands. The vibrations from her throat echo through the house despite how softly she hums; she hears Derek pause.

She cannot read as she concentrates on the melody that has brought her peace of mind and the broken boy now listening intently. The words mold together but she continues using the book as a barrier between her and the world; all that leaves her little bubble is the melody of peace.

She hears other footsteps. Glancing over her shoulder, Lexi places a finger over her lips as Peter sinks into a nearby armchair. She grimaces when the leather squeals under his weight.

He nods with a raised eyebrow and remains silent as Lexi hums, her eyes returning to the book. Eventually, after a lifetime of waiting, she stops; Derek has fallen asleep again. She places the book on the other side of the couch before she looks over at Peter. "So," Picking up her wine glass, she meets his gaze. "Why aren't you asleep? You look exhausted."

"What was that song?" He asks. With a blanket draped over him, he grabs at the cloth childishly. "It was nice."

"Just a lullaby my mother used to sing to me," Lexi replies. "And you avoided the question."
Peter smirks as he leans forward. "The humming woke me up."

With his movement, Lexi scrunches up her nose in disgust. "No, I can smell the alcohol. You went partying." Peter purses his lips as Lexi narrows her eyes at him. "I told you that you could stay at one of my apartments if you ever come home late. Why are you here?"

The smug expression falls from Peter's face. "You know why," he replies, his voice low and rough. "Besides, I'm a werewolf. I can't get drunk."

"I'm worried about him too," Lexi says as she sighs. Her eyes move to the fireplace, watching the flames lick the old brick. "I do not know what to do."

"Well, he'll listen to you," Peter says. "He respects you."

"And what about you? You're his uncle."

Clicking his tongue, Peter reluctantly nods. "But you're Lexi."

Glancing over at him, Lexi purses her lips. "That should not be better than family."

"You are family."

Lexi tears her gaze away as she bites the inside of her cheek. "That is a nice sentiment, Pete." She rises from the couch, letting the blanket covering her lap and the book tumble onto the cushions. "But that is a very dangerous thing to say."

"Why?" Peter asks.

The note of urgency in his voice makes Lexi pause. "Nothing you need to worry about," she says, refusing to look at him before she walks out of the room and up the stairs.

The door to her room at the end of the hall stands slightly open, the familiar darkness within calling her name. Despite the desire to lock herself in her room and sleep, Lexi pauses next to another room; she places her palm against the wooden door and leans her forehead next to it. "I know it's hard," she whispers. "But we are here to help. I understand even when they may not. You do not have to do this al—"

The door opens.

Lexi stumbles forward, crashing into Derek's chest. Both yelp as she jerks away and straightens out her shirt. "I-I didn't know you were awake," she says as her cheeks grow hot. "I was just—"

"It's ok," Derek replies. "I actually wanted to talk to you." His hand trails up to the back of his neck, his finger pushing down on his skin. "I woke up maybe twenty minutes ago and I heard this song? Did—did you hear it too?"

If possible, Lexi's blush deepens. "Yeah," she says quickly. "I thought it would calm you down—my mother used to sing it to put me to sleep when I was a child."

"Oh." Derek glances behind her before he moves closer to the open door. He opens his mouth to invite her in, but the thought brings pressure to his chest that makes him speechless.

Luckily, Lexi understands. She steps into the room, letting Derek close the door behind her. Standing awkwardly with her arms wrapped around her waist, she avoids Derek's skittish gaze. "I am sorry you have to deal with this," she says softly. "No one should."

"It's not your fault. You don't need to be sorry," he replies as he sits on his mattress. "None of this is your fault."

"Ah," Lexi purses her lips as she sits next to him. "You overheard my conversation with your mother."

He glances up at her. "We're not your responsibility, you know," he says. "You don't have to feel guilty when something bad happens."

Lexi looks out of the open window and at the twinkling stars in the night sky. "It is one of my flaws," she says with a heavy sigh. "I take on too much responsibility without meaning to."

Suddenly, Lexi feels Derek's fingers slip in between her's. She glances down and watches as he moves their hands into his own lap before wrapping his free hand around their clasped ones. When he looks up, she is already staring at him.

"You should get some sleep," she whispers. "It helps to be unconscious."

He quirks an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Your mind turns off," she says, shrugging. "You stop thinking."

Derek nods before he climbs into his bed with their hands still together. He pauses when he realizes he is still tugging her with him. "Stay with me?" He asks.

Without an answer, she settles on top of the blanket next to him. "Just listen to my heartbeat," she replies as he closes his eyes.

After a moment, she begins to hum once more. She hums the tune until she too lets her eyes fall closed with her ears focused on the heartbeat next to her.

My babies are so cute! Hope you enjoyed!

-L