ludus

Once Pietro has brought Bucky back to camp, I take a seat by the campfire. I didn't think we were with Tony, Peter, and Rhodey for a long time, but I notice that the sun has already began to set. We must've been there for longer than I imagined.

"So," Bucky starts once he's reoriented himself. "What now?"

I look to Pietro, who shrugs. "I... don't know," I tell Bucky, laughing a bit. "That meeting definitely did not go to plan."

"I thought Stark would've at least tried to help you, Ave. Like Rhodey said, he's got a special place in his heart for young superheroes," Pietro says, winking at me at the last part.

"You're only a year older than me, genius. But yeah, I wasn't expecting that either, honestly." I take a breath and lean back onto my palms. Bucky walks over and takes a seat next to me, and I gravitate toward him and lean into his side. "But at least we have Rhodey and Peter. Even if it's against what Tony wants."

"That's nine people. Just about half," Pietro says as he takes a seat on my other side. I sigh, shaking my head a little.

"It's not just about the numbers though, Piet. It's like what Tony said. It's about the people behind the numbers," I say, and Pietro nods. "Something about us set Tony off and made him not want to trust us. I don't like that."

"Maybe it's the fact that we're in a death arena and we were suggesting an alliance," Bucky says without sarcasm. I turn to him and give a confused look. "Tony probably didn't think we were actually there for peace. After everything he and Peter, and probably Rhodey too, have been through already, I doubt he's open to the idea of more fake promises."

I take a moment to let the idea settle, but once I think it over I realize that Bucky's most likely right. I nod my head, and Pietro speaks up.

"I probably wouldn't be completely open to something like that either, if we were on the other side of it. We've only been the people suggesting peace, not accepting or denying it. I guess there's a difference."

"Suggesting it makes us the ones in charge of it." I take another deep breath and lean forward, moving to stand up. I'm about to get on my feet when a familiar face abruptly sits in front of me, making me sit back down.

"So, you guys go off on a little mission and don't invite me? I won't take it personally this time, but let's not make this a trend," Peter says, and I give a small laugh.

"Trust me, I don't think you would've wanted to be there for this one," I tell him, giving him a smile. "But I'll remember that if we go anywhere else."

"Good. It was boring here without you guys. Sam's nice and all, but you can only have so much fun sitting around and doin' nothing, y'know?"

"Sam is pretty nice," Bucky says without emotion, and I pinch him in the leg. Despite his constant talking about Sam, I'm the only one who knows about their relationship, and I won't let him blow this because of his jealousy over Peter Quill and Sam's newfound friendship.

"But I definitely get what you mean. That used to be my entire life, back at the facility. Sit and wait for my friends to get back from their super top-secret missions," I say, trying to lighten the mood again after Bucky's mishap. I look around at the three people sitting around me, when an idea pops into my head. "Should we go on a little mission now?"

"Ave, we just got back from one," Pietro laughs, and I turn and give him a small smile.

"A little walk won't hurt though, right? I mean, what else are we going to do," I suggest, and the three of them nod. My smile grows larger and stand up, beginning to bounce on my toes. "So what are we waiting for?"