Interlude 9 .

Thrissko

"You called for me," I said as I entered the captain's quarters. Sally and Skis trailed behind me as always.

Igwe and the Starwatcher whose wife had died defiant against the miasmids stood on either side of the captain. Svolun didn't answer me. He just waved an arm towards the image being projected through his volo.

I didn't realize what I was seeing at first. I thought it was a show and I was confused as to why Svolun wanted me to watch it. People fought with each other on board the bridge of a ship. There was a Bundu-Jo my age who looked an awful lot like Captain Svolun. His white stripes were wider than most Bundu-Jo's just like the captain's. There was a Starwatcher with the same cream colored fur as the Starwatcher that stood by the captain.

It wasn't until I saw Vai that I realized this wasn't a show and those teenagers were probably the children of those next to me. It was hard for me to tear my eyes away from Vai, but I did just long enough to see the expression on Svolun's and the Starwatcher's faces. Their expressions convinced me that those were indeed their children.

"What is this?" I whispered turning my attention back to Vai. Vai stood in front of a Bundu-Jo captain. I didn't know what he did to her - he wasn't even touching her - but the miasmids came out of her as she screamed. I wasn't sure why I knew - maybe it was the expression on Vai's face - but I knew the miasmids came out because of him. I also knew when he destroyed the miasmids.

"It's being broadcasted live," Igwe answered when Svolun couldn't find his voice.

"Why hasn't the feed been cut off yet?" I asked as I took a step closer to the projection. Neither those in the government with miasmids nor those without would want this broadcasted.

"It must be Lieutenant Commander Ma'amaloa," Svolun said under his breath. "He is the only one I know capable of keeping the stream going."

Something strange stirred within me. I had been prepared to deal with Vai. I had beat him up pretty badly on Mars and it had felt really good. I thought I even wanted to kill my former friend, but actually seeing him again -

The miasmids sent me a warning that my thoughts were going in a dangerous direction. I didn't want to feel the incredible pain they could inflict.

Vai knelt next to the Bundu-Jo captain who was now unconscious. He placed her head in his lap and closed his eyes. It didn't take long until she opened her eyes again - all the cuts she had on her were now healed. She hugged Vai. And I knew. I knew he healed her. Not just of her cuts. He had healed her from the miasmids control. Permanently.

I knew this because the miasmids inside me panicked as they were the ones who realized what Vai had done. I thought I was content with the miasmids inside me. I thought I would do anything for the pleasure they gave and do anything to avoid the pain they would inflict, but knowing what Vai had done - hope. I had hope that I didn't even know I lacked. Vai could heal me. He could make my mind my own again. He could make my free will mine.

Pain writhed through my entire being. My head shattered into millions of pieces. Every nerve in my body lit with sharp, hot, unbearable pain. I dropped to my knees and grasped my head as the pain spasmed throughout my body.

I wasn't the only one. Everyone in that room - Svolun, Igwe, the Starwatcher, Sally and Skis all dropped to their knees at the same time as I did. I knew then that they all had the same thought I did. A thought the miasmids would do everything in their power to make sure we never had again.

Vai could save us.