Chapter 23 .

Vai

"But not enough people have the light yet," Esther said. "If we move on the Brist homeworld now, there is a possibility we will fail. And if we fail - if the entire G.E.F. fails, then what happens to everyone else? We should continue spreading the light to the other homeworlds and colonies as soon as we can."

Esther, Shel and I sat in the bay next to the Awakened One. Minmin was absent as it was her shift on the bridge. Owen was with his family. The ambient noise of the mechanics working on the shuttles, pilots testing the shuttles, etc., rose all around us.

"But as of this moment, the Corruption don't realize we know about Brist," Shel said. "Now is the time to strike before they can fortify Brist even more."

"I don't know," Esther said.

Owen's father and mother came into view beyond the Aether field until they used their light to push further out into space. The fleet had stopped for a short time to allow different groups to practice their light out in space. At the moment, it was Owen's, Hani's and Nathan's families.

"It's not up to us anyway," Shel said. "The Gathering Council has already made the decision."

"But if we as light specialists recommend something else, wouldn't they have to listen?" Esther insisted.

"I don't want to recommend something else," Shel said. "I believe this is the best course of action at this time."

"You just want the fleet to be reunited so you can see your mom again," Esther said.

Shel drew quiet. I looked up at the Awakened One, but he stayed as quiet as I did.

Owen flew passed the bay opening with Hani's little sister using her light to chase after him.

"Can't we drop off the children somewhere safe at least?" I asked. "Before we head to Brist."

Esther and Shel turned their attention to the opening, but Owen and the little girl had already gone out of view.

"The little little ones aren't safe anywhere," the Awakened One finally spoke. And he was right though I didn't want to admit it. The Corruption's reach permeated everything. Even the colonies and homeworlds we had already given the light to weren't free yet from the Corruption.

"Foster sister," Shel said. Esther's eyes flashed to him. "I don't want the fleet to be reunited just so I can see my mom again. She has decided to stay on the SingingStar regardless. I truly do believe taking the offensive now is the best course of action for the Gathering. The colonies we have passed the light onto have sent out emissaries to pass on the light to other colonies and they in turn will pass it on to more colonies until all of the Gathering have the light. But right now at this moment, we have an opportunity to strike the Corruption and cause them real damage that we didn't have only weeks before."

It grew silent before Esther finally said, "I'm sorry I implied you had selfish reasons for wanting the fleet to reunite. I know you have the Gathering's best interest in mind. I'm just not sure this is the correct course of action."

"But you're not sure it's not the right course either," Shel said.

"That's true too," Esther said.

"So for now, put your all into this as we all will," Shel said.

Esther nodded.

"I hope enough of the Brist will survive this," I said quietly. There was no possible way I could heal every single Brist of the Corruption all at once. And even if I could, there were so many Corruption on Brist that they would just refill the Brist as soon as I pushed them out.

"Do you think we will run into the missing G.E.F. ships?" Esther asked Shel. "Do you think we will have the opportunity for Vai to heal your father?"

"Even though we can't track them now, we will run into the missing ships eventually," Shel said as he looked out into space. "And when we do I hope Vai will have the opportunity to heal my dad. And Minmin's dad."

"Do you think when your dad is healed he will accept me as a foster daughter?" Esther asked quietly. I had no idea that was something she had even thought about.

"Once he is healed, yes," Shel said.

Esther's shoulders relaxed slightly. I hadn't realized she was tensed until then. It must have been bothering her.

The ship's computer announced throughout the ship, "The F.T.L. jumps will commence in 10 minutes. Please prepare for travel."

Owen's, Hani's and Nathan's families entered the shuttle bay through the Aether field. Owen, Hani and Nathan made their way over to us, but their families continued on through the bay.

"How has Spencer been doing?" I asked Hani.

"Much better since Owen opened his light," Hani said as she sat next to me. Nathan sat next to her. "That was the right decision," she said pointedly to Owen as he sat next to Esther.

"I know, friends. I'm glad I did." He looked up at Warpaint who stood behind me. "Aren't you going to praise me, Warpaint?"

Warpaint looked down at me as if asking for permission. I smiled and gave a slight head tilt towards Owen.

"Yes," Warpaint said. "That was great of you, friend who is way too young for sir Vai."

I sighed.

"Why does he always do that?" Nathan asked. "It's weird."

"It is a little strange that he keeps calling you old," Hani said.

I tried to shrug it off. "My father programmed him that way to better protect me I guess."

"Yes," Warpaint said. "I am the greatest of protectors."

"Yes, you are Warpaint," I said.

"I want my very own mechatronic," Owen mumbled.

The ship's computer made another announcement. "The light specialists are to report to the bridge." I ignored the impulse to go back to my quarters alone so I could speak to my computer mother in private. Now was not the time. I stood with Owen, Esther and Shel and we made our way to the bridge. The ship began its many F.T.L. jumps that would take us to the rendezvous spot where we would meet the other ships of the G.E.F.

When we arrived on the bridge, Minmin sat in her designated chair with her feet dangling above the floor. Captain Axa sat in the captain's seat. Her face remained as stoic as ever when she saw us.

"Good, you are all here," she said. "I don't expect any trouble when we meet up with the other ships in the fleet, but we lost track of the ships that the Corruption has been controlling. Be prepared for anything."

We nodded and stood behind Minmin. It was several more jumps before we reached the rendezvous spot. It was empty. The other ships had yet to arrive.

"Captain," Esther said, "the missing G.E.F. ships have been retrofitted with weapons more fit for war. Will our G.E.F. ships be retrofitted as well?"

Captain Axa looked Esther up and down with her lips barely turned down. "No," she said simply. "We already possess the best weapons against the miasmids - the Aether field, which can be used as a weapon, and the light."

More ships jumped in beside us. The SingingStar led them. Shel smiled slightly. His mother was onboard. I had to admit, even though she wasn't my mom and even though she wouldn't be rejoining us on the Shadow I was relieved to know she was close by.

"Contact the SingingStar," Captain Axa said.

The communications officer - a Bundu-Jo this time - moved to comply. In moments, the captain of the SingingStar was projected onto the bridge of the Shadow and standing next to him looking well was El.

But before the captains could speak with each other, the missing G.E.F. ships as well as the K'thaktra and Brist ships jumped in next to us. The Armstar was the first to fire on us.