Chapter 19 .

Vai

The elevator opened on deck 2 and Warpaint and I ran through the corridor towards the labs. I stretched out with my light. Everyone in the labs was down, but that wasn't because of the blast. The labs had filled with a gas that caused everyone - including my dad - to fall unconscious. The 3 humans and 3 Brist were now in the science labs near my father, but they didn't have him yet.

We reached the doors to the labs, but they wouldn't slide open. I looked to Warpaint. "They are closed because of the hole breach," he said. Most of the unconscious scientists had lost focus of their light shields when they went unconscious, but they weren't dying from the effects of space. As far as I could tell as my light touched them, there was still oxygen in the labs and the cold vacuum of space had not touched them.

"Can you override the doors?" I asked my mechatronic.

"I know the code," he said, "but your father said - "

"They will take my father if we are not quick enough," I interrupted. "The enemy is already in there trying to get to him."

Warpaint stepped up to the door control panel and quickly punched in a number. The door slid open. Warpaint and I stepped through and the door slid shut behind us.

There was a white haze throughout the labs. It permeated my shield and I began to feel the effects - hard to focus, hard to keep my eyes open. I used my green light to heal myself as the effects kept breaking through. Warpaint was fine. He led the way to my father's lab at the back.

When the door to my father's lab slid open, the 3 humans and 3 Brist crowded the room. They had not touched my father yet because even though he was unconscious there was an Aether field around him. One of the rings on his fingers was glowing red and that is where the Aether field spread out from.

There was a hole in the wall, but it didn't lead to space. The foreign ship had used it to connect the two ships. A K'thaktra stood at the entrance inside their ship.

All of their heads turned my way when Warpaint and I entered. Pink was in their eyes. They didn't say anything to each other, but the 3 humans stepped into my dad's Aether field. The Corruption was so desperate to get my dad they were willing to kill themselves before I could stop them. And with my light I knew the moment that they died.

The humans grabbed onto my father and lifted him between them. One of them took of my dad's glowing ring and the Aether field turned off. Now that the Corruption was gone from the humans, I touched them with my green light and began to heal them from the effects of the Corruption. They faltered and almost dropped my dad.

"Stop him!" the K'thaktra at the entrance yelled. He pointed directly at me.

The 3 Brist charged us distracting me from the humans. Warpaint stepped in front of me and knocked one of the Brist away as the other two brought out electric batons and began to beat his chrome legs.

"My dad," I said as I maneuvered around Warpaint and the Brist. The humans had carried my father to the hole and were about to board the other ship. "Stop!" I cried out.

I moved to intercept them, but the K'thaktra charged me. My shield kept his barbs away from me. I punched him in the face using my light for extra force. It cracked the exoskeleton on his cheek. He took a step back from the impact.

The humans were now onboard the other ship with my dad. I began to heal my dad with my light. I pushed out the chemicals that had caused him to fall unconscious. He could fight them off if he was awake. He was old, but he was still stronger than any other human I had met.