Chapter 11 .

Vai

Our many jumps through F.T.L. took us to a foreign moon. It appeared craggy on the surface, but underneath the surface was underwater rivers and caves that held vegetation, insects and fish.

It wasn't just our little group this time. We were accompanied by security officers in case more Corruption showed up. In reality, they couldn't do anymore against the Corruption than we could. If thousands of Corruption attacked one person, they would die - like I did. Our light shields were not enough to keep them out. Except for Lieutenant Tanpo's. Her shield was the only one I trusted against the Corruption.

My dad was there with a team of scientists to collect samples, specimens and readings. The captain was eager to accompany the surface team as she hadn't been off the ship since we first began this journey.

There was something new we discovered about our shields. It could keep the air around us at the correct pressure and with the correct gases we needed to survive. That meant we didn't need suits and masks on this moon when otherwise we would need to. That also explained why the Awakened One could survive in space.

It had been a few weeks since our revelation to the rest of the Gathering. I had thought the Corruption would retaliate immediately in some way, but they were quiet. It was assumed they had taken over Brist and certain colonies as the Gathering had not been able to communicate with them.

There were science and security teams from the other G.E. vessels as well. Our small team had been the only ones designated to find the Awakened One. They were concerned he might be overwhelmed by all the new faces. I didn't think that would be the case, but our time with him had been brief so maybe it was best to keep it to just those of us who he was familiar with and a small security team.

We were inside one of the many caves mostly going by Esther's instinct as we had on the other planet to find the Awakened One. Esther stopped and tilted her head. I felt it this time too. The Awakened One was near. Below us actually just like last time. The stone beneath us began to vibrate.

"Sir, stay close to me," Warpaint said. He stepped up so he was practically bumping into my back. The red began to spread all over his body. He put the Aether shield up. I noticed Owen stepped into the shield's small proximity before it went up completely.

Stone bits exploded up in the air and the Awakened One floated out of the large hole. The stone bits gathered together and closed over the hole. The Awakened One looked at our little group and then at the security officers who were with us. The security officers fidgeted. A few took a step back. We had prepared them for what he looked like, but they thought we had been exaggerating his height and girth. We weren't.

"You have been busy," his low voice grumbled. Even though we were in a large cavern, the Awakened One still had to hunch a little so his head wouldn't hit the ceiling. "I see you've opened the light in more of the Gatherish. Your entire armada now has the light. That isn't enough though. The Corruption prepare to make their move. As it is now, they will win."

"The others like you should wake up and help us now," Esther said.

The Awakened One ignored her and faced me. "You are yourself again," he said.

"Yes," I said.

"What happened to the fake one?"

"We killed him and I reclaimed my body."

The security officers looked to each other with confusion. Of course no one except our little group knew that I was a clone and that we had killed the other clone so I could take his body when mine died.