9.

this was actually a request from tumblr, but i was really happy with it. so follow my tumblr for more writing! @bessonbear

send in the clowns, stephen sondheim

you'd loved daniel since you were 18. at the time, he was everything. he was your best friend, your love, your soulmate. to him? you were the consolation prize. he knew you were head over heels for him, and he showed it off. hell, you'd told him twice, asked him to dances, but all you got was, "y/n, this is our last year of high school! i don't want to be tied down! i want to fly!" so he found girls, took them to places he couldn't take you.
two years later, daniel had gone great things. from afar, you watched him grow and grow and grow. chasing those dreams he always talked of chasing. but you never saw him tie himself down. sure, there were rumors. but as he had told you, he never stayed on the ground. you had settled. fallen in love with a wonderful person.
isn't it rich? aren't we a pair? me, here at last on the ground, you in mid-air?
now here he was. standing outside your door. the rain painted the pavement. "i wasn't ready to be in a relationship then, y/n. i'm ready now. i want this with you." "you're being selfish, daniel." he winced at his name, spit like acid from your mouth. "think about me. you told me you wanted to float, but now that you landed, i was supposed to wait? i never got to be the one to touch the clouds?"
just when i'd stopped opening doors, finally knowing the one that i wanted was yours. making my entrance with my usual flair, sure of my lines, no one is there.
"no, daniel. you don't get to do that. you don't get to go around and try every girl you want and expect me to stand here, waiting for you to think that maybe i was the one. you don't get to just, just show up here again and demand your spot back in my life. i moved on! i thought you had too, considering for you, there was nothing to move on from!" daniel stared at you, defenseless. he knew what you are saying was true. he had planned all of this out! he was supposed to show up here, with the flowers, be greeted by your smile, tell you that he loved you, and you loved him! but now, he had forgotten the whole speech. there was no warm smile for him, just an empty stare.
but where are the clowns?
daniel stared at you, trying to process your words. this was wrong. this was all so wrong and unfair! you and him were supposed to get the happy ending, the good ending, the fairytale ending. it was supposed to be fireworks! just like it used to be! this was rain splattered on pavement, as thick and wet as the tears falling out of your eyes. he tried to reason with you, but you were insistent. you were already in love and it wasn't with him.
send in the clowns.
he was a fool. a fool for showing up here. a clown.
don't bother, they're here.